Carbed but no head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpeebs

Reaction score
I brewed a Scottish wee heavy extract in January and bottled it about two and a half weeks ago. Poured one last night and it was carbonated reasonably well and tasted good, but had zero head. Ferm temp was between 65 and 68 degrees in my basement, did not rack to secondary. same temp after bottling. Used 5 oz corn sugar (came with kit) to carb. I hand wash all my glasses with regular dish soap. I have a cream ale bottled that I haven't had any issues with so I've ruled out glassware. Anything else you can think ok that might be causing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Bre

Can you outline your process a bit starting with the boil, addition of extract, etc?

This was an extract kit. Might've been brewed in December; I can't really remember. Either way, it's say long enough for fermentation to be complete. It tastes great, just lacking head.

I don't have my notes in front of me but I think it was 9 pounds of extract. 3 added for 60 minutes, 9 added for the final 15 minutes. Pitched yeast at 70 degrees.

Sorry, I edited my response when I saw you mentioned it was an extract. From what I understand, extract brews in general struggle with head retention. I've heard people suggest adding a partial mash to the process with 1/2 pound of Carapils / Dextrine malt. It won't add much to the flavor and will help with head retention and body.

What's the ABV? I have found (personal experience only) that high ABV beers don't produce much head. Seems like the higher alcohol keeps head retention down/keeps it from forming.

I brewed a 13% ABV stout that I could have shook up and it wouldn't foam out of the bottle...it would probably blow the top off, though. :)

I had the same issue and found the solution.

My problem was the dish washing liquid from my dishwasher was causing the head to disappear.

I would for sure check that out first.

I've wrestled with this quite a bit. Initially it was suggested to me to add some wheat DME, which worked, but I didn't want wheat in everything. I've been using carapils, but recently had issues again now that I've moved to partial mash.

I also washed my glasses with Dawn, and then would go back over it with a sponge of Star San. But I found this isn't necessary as commercial beers do just fine as is.

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping time will make it better. If not I'm not going to worry too much about my process as this was my last extract brew (for now anyway).

Back