Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually do 4 cans and use 1 tsp cinnamon powder. I've always avoided swirling the bottle to keep that nasty looking bit of cinnamon powder at the bottom...I'll try swirling the bottle and see where that gets me.

Made this for the third time but cut it in half using my old Mr beer fermenter. The only thing is that I forgot to cut the sugar in half...so I used 4 pounds in a 2.5 gallon batch

I checked the SG and it was around 1.115. Right now about 1.5 weeks later it is at about 1.050 and it seems to be stopped fermenting.

Is this where it is going to stop or at because the yeast can't handle it

Made this for the third time but cut it in half using my old Mr beer fermenter. The only thing is that I forgot to cut the sugar in half...so I used 4 pounds in a 2.5 gallon batch

I checked the SG and it was around 1.115. Right now about 1.5 weeks later it is at about 1.050 and it seems to be stopped fermenting.

Is this where it is going to stop or at because the yeast can't handle it

Based on those#s your at 8%-9% which is not bad for a cider. With a gravity of 1.050 it will probably be extremely sweet when drinking. How does it taste?

You could add nutrients or try to get it to ferment lower but, you'll get more wine tastes.

I'm making my own cinnamon extract using a jar of cinnamon sticks and some Captain Morgan spiced rum. I've been shaking a couple times a day (minimum) since I bought the stuff earlier this week. I'm keeping the bottle of cinnamon sticks and rum at room temperature. How long do you think it will take to turn it into "cinnamon extract" and how much would you use in the caramel syrup? I figured the Captain Morgan would add a hint of flavor to the final syrup mix. If necessary, I can dump that and go get another bottle and some cheap, clear vodka or something. I'm probably not going to need it for a couple weeks anyway. :)

OK. I got 5+ gallons of this stuff started. :) I hit the measurements almost spot on. I used a bit of pectinase (in the amount recommended on the package) to help ensure I don't get any clouds. Also added a little more sugar with the last little bit of apple juice/cider (about 4 oz if my scale is to be believed.) Didn't have QUITE enough room for all 6 gallons in my 6-gallon fermenter since I added some other stuff to it.

Followed the original recipe and got a 1.061 OG. I did use WhiteLabs English Cider yeast. Now 3 weeks later, it is only down to 1.020. Wait another week? or is this as low as it is going to get?

If this is it, should I drop down to 2 cans instead of 3 of FAJC?

Thanks

Take a reading tomorrow and the next day. If it's the same all three days you should be good to go.

As for the FAJC, it depends on how sweet you want the finished product to be. The more you add, the quicker you'll likely have to pasteurize though. I usually do about 4 cans plus the caramel sauce and pasteurize 3-5 days after bottling for a slight carbonation.

So i tried cinnamon extract and imitation carmel extract to prevent the cinnoman snot and increase the Carmel flavor. I used a whole bottle of each and found the carmel flavor was perfect but the cinnamon was barley noticable.

That being said i found that 1shot of Black Velvet Toasted Carmel whiskey or Fireball/hot damn cinnoman flavored alcohol makes a glass of cider perfect (and an extra kick)

So yesterday I started a batch of this. Not much went on yesterday or this morning. Tonight, just for giggles I took a look at it. I put a blowoff tube on this just to be on the safe side and stuck the other end into an apple juice bottle half-filled with sanitizer. I also taped the sensor from my thermostat to the side of the fermenter with a couple plastic shopping bags scrunched up to help shield the probe from the air temperature in my fermentation chamber. I've got the thermostatic control set to 65*.
So it's bedtime for me, and I decided to take a look at the cider. Holy crap.. it's putting out so much CO2 the sanitizer is starting to foam out of the bottle!!! I probably should have just used my 3-piece airlock, but I was paranoid about the last few ferments I've done pushing wort into the airlock. :)

Just bottled my 3rd batch of this. Did another 2.5 gallons using S-05 yeast. Since I'm cutting the original recipe to 2.5 gallons, I've been cutting the caramel syrup in half as well. This time I just went ahead and made the full amount of caramel sauce plus 2 cans of FAJC. It tastes great and the wife approves. I just have to be a little more diligent with checking the carbonation levels as I assume this is going to carb up a lot faster than my previous two batches.

I want to thank UpstateMike for this excellent and easy recipe! I've brewed just as much cider as beer this year which is definitely a surprise to me.

Dumped another teaspoon of yeast nutrient in this morning. There was a LOT of CO2 escaping through the blow-off tube, which I'm assuming was dissolved CO2 coming out of solution from the nutrient powder mixing in. Nice orange color others have described. :)

Newsman said:
I'm making my own cinnamon extract using a jar of cinnamon sticks and some Captain Morgan spiced rum. I've been shaking a couple times a day (minimum) since I bought the stuff earlier this week. I'm keeping the bottle of cinnamon sticks and rum at room temperature. How long do you think it will take to turn it into "cinnamon extract" and how much would you use in the caramel syrup? I figured the Captain Morgan would add a hint of flavor to the final syrup mix. If necessary, I can dump that and go get another bottle and some cheap, clear vodka or something. I'm probably not going to need it for a couple weeks anyway. :)

Making your own extract is the best. I made vanilla extract that I used in this. I used 25 beans and a whole 750ml bottle of vodka. I waited about 8 months before using it(super strong) but 2-3 months would be a min. for me

Blackfish said:
Followed the original recipe and got a 1.061 OG. I did use WhiteLabs English Cider yeast. Now 3 weeks later, it is only down to 1.020. Wait another week? or is this as low as it is going to get? If this is it, should I drop down to 2 cans instead of 3 of FAJC? Thanks

Hm that seems to be a pretty high FG. I usually hit 1.01 in about a week. What's your ferm temp?

HopHeaven said:
Hm that seems to be a pretty high FG. I usually hit 1.01 in about a week. What's your ferm temp?

The air temp is 65. The carboy is totally covered by a box, with an opening for the bubbler, and the temp on the stick-on strip is 68 - 70.

Blackfish said:
The air temp is 65. The carboy is totally covered by a box, with an opening for the bubbler, and the temp on the stick-on strip is 68 - 70.

Seems a bit high. I'd check every 3 days as suggested. If it seems stable, I'd reduce by 1 ajc and take it from there.

Or dump half a packet of yeast and cold crash when you hit the correct FG and continue

Seems a bit high. I'd check every 3 days as suggested. If it seems stable, I'd reduce by 1 ajc and take it from there.

Or dump half a packet of yeast and cold crash when you hit the correct FG and continue

FG has stabilized at 1.020. Could I just give the carboy a swirl and stir up some yeast in the cake to get the fermentation going again?

Blackfish said:
FG has stabilized at 1.020. Could I just give the carboy a swirl and stir up some yeast in the cake to get the fermentation going again?

Is your cider clear? If not then there is still some yeast in suspension and stirring it up wouldn't matter. If it is, give it a very gentle spin, maybe that will start fermentation back up. If not, not the end of the world, it'll just be slightly lower in abv

I bottled my cider last Wednesday, and filled a plastic bottle with some cider so I could monitor the pressure build-up. I then went out of town for Thanksgiving. I came back on Sunday and the plastic bottle was pressurized, but didn't seem to be overly so. I opened a bottle anyway just to be sure, and it was pretty flat. I've been monitoring the plastic bottle all week, and it never really seemed to get that much firmer. Last night I finally decided to open another bottle to see what was going on - and it foamed out the top.

Now what? If I refridgerate the bottles, will that lower the pressure inside enough that I can open them without loseing too much cider? When I re-cap the bottles, so I need to let them build up pressure again, or will the CO2 stay in solution?

I had this exact same thing happen to me not 3 weeks ago.
I ended up opening and dumping all of my bottles back into a fermenter for a day and reprimed (less than usual) with the intention of pasteurizing within a day or two.

Your situation might be different though. Try refrigerating a few and see what happens. The type of bottle you used might make a difference (my short and stubby bottles foamed over but my longneck bottles didn't completely foam over.)

My apple juice is still fermenting out, currently sitting a 1.000. Been creeping down a gravity point every few days for over a month now...I may just back sweeten it now and bottle/pasteurize, screw waiting for it to clear.

Oh and I used an old pack of Nottingham that I found in my fridge.

I gave the carboy a good swirl to re suspend the yeast in hopes of getting the fermentation going again. Three days later, the FG is still unchanged at 1.020. Is this as low as White English Cider Yeast will go?

Just bottled mine today and WHOA! AWESOME STUFF! Thanks for the recipe Mike, this is sure to be a hit at Christmas.

Mine was good. My family thought it was great. My recipe was a bit different though...

And, for anyone who read my previous threads. My last batch I added one 6" cinnamon stick and one vanilla bean to my secondary for 3 days. I soaked them in vodka for a while. If you are thinking about these flavors.. I would add a 6" cinnamon stick and cut that vanilla bean in HALF. Or 1/4ths.

I felt I had a little too much vanilla and I didn't like it. The family loved it, but I know had I had another batch next to it with the modified amount of vanilla they would have liked that better.

It certainly could be if you can find enough pear juice. There's nothing wrong with trying a one gallon experiment with it, so give it a shot!

Welcome to the forums :mug:

So I started a batch of this on the first. I suppose I ought to start checking the gravity and see if it is settled. I can tell you this it's still very cloudy. Will it clear on it's own or do I need to cold crash it?

OK. I just took a hydrometer reading... if I'm reading it right (approximately half way between 1.000 and 1.010 would be 1.005???) it looks like I may be done. I'll check again in a day or two and see if the reading changes. If I recall the OG correctly, it would be about 1.065 which would make my current ABV almost 7.75%. :)

OK. I just took a hydrometer reading... if I'm reading it right (approximately half way between 1.000 and 1.010 would be 1.005???) it looks like I may be done. I'll check again in a day or two and see if the reading changes. If I recall the OG correctly, it would be about 1.065 which would make my current ABV almost 7.75%. :)

That's where mine finished...

That's where mine finished...

Great. I'll go buy a few cans of FCAJ and prepare to back sweeten and spice it up. :)

I've already got plans for the next batch I'm gonna make -- I've got a sealed tin of "instant mulling spice." I think I'll add the spices to some apple juice since it already includes sugar and dextrose. :) Hopefully the spices will still be good because there's a sticker on there that has a "best by" date of January 2009, but it's been sealed, so we'll have to see when I open it how it smells.

Do you have to transfer to another carboy or can you just do everything in the original carboy?

Do you have to transfer to another carboy or can you just do everything in the original carboy?

Nope. I just go straight to bottles after 15 days or so. Clarity not an issue so I stopped xfer. I now make this stuff in my 5 gallon better bottle so I keep my primaries free. No probs to report!

Nope. I just go straight to bottles after 15 days or so. Clarity not an issue so I stopped xfer. I now make this stuff in my 5 gallon better bottle so I keep my primaries free. No probs to report!

Do you mix the syrup in the primary??? or do you transfer to a bottling bucket and mix in there? Either way I wouldn't want all the yeast sediment in there with my syrup. :)

Back