Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw, I looking to buy 5 1 gallon jugs of quality apple juice for my next batch. I need the glass jugs to run trial batches of beer experiments. Has anyone seen these anywhere? I live in central Illinois.

Just about every high end grocery store carries a glass jug of apple juice which should work. Note that the diameter of the cap is not always the same as the "cider" jugs so the 28mm airlock caps won't fit.

Can you use potassium metabisulfate and sorbate to stop fermentation instead of the Camden tablets?

Campden tablets are just pre-measured potassium or sodium metabisulphite (typically potassium). So yes you can use loose potassium metabisulphite to stop fermentation.

Sorbate on the other hand is used to prevent renewed fermentation.

So for this recipe you would want to use only potassium metabisulphite if you're going to bottle condition and pasteurize.

Just about every high end grocery store carries a glass jug of apple juice which should work. Note that the diameter of the cap is not always the same as the "cider" jugs so the 28mm airlock caps won't fit.

A few months ago I went to several grocery stores looking for 1-gallon apple juice bottles and not a single one had any. They had half gallon, the big-but-not-quite-one-gallon wine jugs, etc, but no 1-gallon. It was frustrating.

June

Is there any reason why I can't add some cinnamon sticks along with the apple juice instead of adding powder with the syrup? It seems to me that would prevent the cinnamon from separating but would still impart cinnamon flavor.

Is there any reason why I can't add some cinnamon sticks along with the apple juice instead of adding powder with the syrup? It seems to me that would prevent the cinnamon from separating but would still impart cinnamon flavor.

That's what I did, letting it steep through the boil and 5 min simmer. I think it's a good cinnamon taste without being over powering.

Campden tablets are just pre-measured potassium or sodium metabisulphite (typically potassium). So yes you can use loose potassium metabisulphite to stop fermentation.

Sorbate on the other hand is used to prevent renewed fermentation.

So for this recipe you would want to use only potassium metabisulphite if you're going to bottle condition and pasteurize.

Of i want it still should i use both?

I want to avoid stove top pasteurizing

So, I went to the local shop during lunch today and for some equipment. I started a batch this evening and I'm hoping for the best. My only concern is the temperature. The air temp in my house ranges between 70 and 75 degrees or so; I do not have the option of having a separate cool(er) room. I know my fermentation will take less than 2.5 weeks but I wonder if it'll be otherwise OK. This is my first time making cider.

Whew! Just finished reading this entire thread. Good stuff. Took a few days of reading here and there.

I saw where other folks opted to use wine yeast. Seems like the general consensus was doing so would impart a more wine like quality. So a quick question for those who have used wine or champagne yeast and let it run until dry. How'd it turn out? Not real sure what "wine like qualities" would be like in an apple pie flavored beverage!

I originally started out making a batch of apfelwein, but when I saw this recipe and realized I could have something drinkable much sooner I thought I might change direction.

I'm currently 3 weeks in on fermentation using Montrachet yeast and nutrient. Not sure what the current gravity is because up to now my intention was to let it run its course. But I think it should be done fermenting (dry) by this point, or around .992 to .996.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

JuneHawk said:
So, I went to the local shop during lunch today and for some equipment. I started a batch this evening and I'm hoping for the best. My only concern is the temperature. The air temp in my house ranges between 70 and 75 degrees or so; I do not have the option of having a separate cool(er) room. I know my fermentation will take less than 2.5 weeks but I wonder if it'll be otherwise OK. This is my first time making cider.

Air temp isnt as important as fermentation temp, as the fermentation process can create a 2-5 degree temp increase when actively fermenting. What type of yeast are you using and what is the temp range listed? To keep the fermentation temp in check, you may have to use the swamp cooler method. If the temp runs too high, it can stress the yeast and incomplete fermentations or off flavors can result.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

From what I understand, this recipe is similar to Edwort's Apfelwein. The only real difference (before bottling) is the yeast strain. You might do well to take a look at that thread to see how people rate the taste there.

Hope that helps!

From what I understand, this recipe is similar to Edwort's Apfelwein. The only real difference (before bottling) is the yeast strain. You might do well to take a look at that thread to see how people rate the taste there.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Cheesy. I've read probably 400 pages of the Apfelwein thread over the past couple of weeks. I see one more difference, in addition to the yeast strain; back sweetening. I haven't read where anyone back sweetened their apfelwein. Since what I've started is essentially apfelwein, it might be worth going to that thread and asking if anyone has done it.

May I ask if there is a cheaper substitute for the cider? That brand is very hard to find in my area and at specialty stores its like $5 a bottle! It would cost me a fortune just in the juice alone!

My thoughts on the matter are that you want an apple juice that has nothing extra added, like artificial sweeteners. You want something that's all apple juice. Also, make sure it's pasteurized so you have a better control of the microbiological environment (meaning no wild yeasts!). Aside from those two things, I don't see why you specifically NEED Wegman's brand. I went with the Giant Eagle brand 100% apple juice and it's coming along nicely. Again, just my $0.02.

So what is the consensus about kegging? If I cold crash my carboy 2 days prior to kegging...... keg..add syrup.. hit with gas and put it right in the keezer will I be ok? Fermentation will have been fully halted and the extra sugar added will not continue?

Or is it recommended that I pour the syrup in the keg, rack the cider to the keg... Then let the keg natrually carb for a week at 70 degrees?

Any info would be appreciated... I just want to know from those who have tried either method how it came out...

Thanks

I used potassium metabisulfite to "kill" the yeast. Waited 24 hours. Racked into keg on top of the syrup and 3 cans of FAJC.
Put in my keezer for 24 hours and then hit it with gas. It seemed to take a litte longer to carb up than most of my beer. Usually I can do 30 psi for 24 hours and then drop to 12 psi but this took a while longer. I think I left it on 30 psi for 3 days and then dropped to 12 psi. YMMV

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards cold crashing the carboy and kegging. I just don't see how what little yeast is left after racking would continue to ferment the newly added sugars at 34 degrees. (I used s04 btw).. Ill let everyone know how it works out in 3 weeks ...

Thanks..

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards cold crashing the carboy and kegging. I just don't see how what little yeast is left after racking would continue to ferment the newly added sugars at 34 degrees. (I used s04 btw).. Ill let everyone know how it works out in 3 weeks ...

Thanks..

I've been wondering about kegging too. If you cold crash the carboy it seems that the syrup will have a difficult time mixing in unless you heat the cider back up to room temp.

I guess you could also back sweeten at room temp and then immediately cold crash it. Seems like it'd have the desired result.

May I ask if there is a cheaper substitute for the cider? That brand is very hard to find in my area and at specialty stores its like $5 a bottle! It would cost me a fortune just in the juice alone!

My thoughts on the matter are that you want an apple juice that has nothing extra added, like artificial sweeteners. You want something that's all apple juice. Also, make sure it's pasteurized so you have a better control of the microbiological environment (meaning no wild yeasts!). Aside from those two things, I don't see why you specifically NEED Wegman's brand. I went with the Giant Eagle brand 100% apple juice and it's coming along nicely. Again, just my $0.02.

Correct. I went with Wegmans juice because it was local, has nothing added, and was much less expensive at the time. This was before the 2012 killer spring frost.

Thanks for clearing that up for me since this will be my first cider. Will this stuff called "simply apple" work? Walmart has it...

I have made two batches of this. First batch followed the original recipe. Came out good. Very sweet and very well liked! Second batch, I used 6 gallons apple juice, 2 lbs dextrose, and backsweeten with 3 cans FAJC, 1/2 tsp cinnamon extract and 1/4 tsp vanilla and the brown sugar per the revised recipe. Lighter, easier to drink several, not as much ABV, but still good. In general though I found that most women preferred the original recipe. My gf and I were adding a shot of whipped cream vodka to each glass!! That made it real tasty!!
For my next batch, I bought 5 gallons ofWhole Foods 365 unfiltered apple juice. I really wanted the 1 gallon glass jars for brewing equipment lol. Gonna make it, and am considering an infusion ofcinnamon sticks and vanilla beans in whipped cream vodka infusions and adding to taste. 2 lbs dextrose, 4 cans FAJC. We shall see!!

I had a slightly different initial recipe with using White Labs Yeast WLP775 English Ale Yeast but ended up following the back sweetening that you had.

This is exactly like apple sauce, I had rave reviews from my homebrew club. Absolutely awesome experiment.

The only unfortunate thing is that I only did a 2 gallon batch to try it instead of a full 5 gallon batch.

I'm going to go through the math this weekend and make the exact same batch that I made (with the initial differences) to get a full 5 gallon batch of this. It was amazing!

I'm going to go through the math this weekend and make the exact same batch that I made (with the initial differences) to get a full 5 gallon batch of this. It was amazing!

Whatever you did, divide it by 2. Then multiply that answer by 5. Example:

1 pound dextrose / 2 = 1/2 pound dextrose.

1/2 pound dextrose * 5 = 2 1/2 pounds dextrose.

:mug: :tank:

I've been wondering about kegging too. If you cold crash the carboy it seems that the syrup will have a difficult time mixing in unless you heat the cider back up to room temp.

I guess you could also back sweeten at room temp and then immediately cold crash it. Seems like it'd have the desired result.

Yea your right, it may not mix well.. I think i'm going to mix it a room temp in the bottling bucket. Keg it.... Drop it in the keezer and put it on gas. Hopefully it will cool fast enough to stop further fermentation... I'll report back when its done...

Yea your right, it may not mix well.. I think i'm going to mix it a room temp in the bottling bucket. Keg it.... Drop it in the keezer and put it on gas. Hopefully it will cool fast enough to stop further fermentation... I'll report back when its done...

Kegged this last night. Sunday I racked from primary to secondary (it was already very clear), back sweetened, added some sorbate and kmeta. Last night I made the syrup but used cinnamon sticks and simmered for 30 minutes.

I then transferred the cider from the carboy to the keg and added the syrup to the keg while it was transferring. Easy as pie, or apple pie in this case :)

Just wanted to throw out there for public consumption my round about approach to a version of this Caramel Apple Hard Cider. Hopefully someone will find it useful.

For background, I started out with the intent of making apfelwein. Bought the apple juice, bumped up the gravity with concentrate, threw in the montrachet and nutrients and I was off to the races. Pretty quickly I began to doubt my ability to wait 6 months to a year before my apfelwein was really good. I started looking for an out in the form of a cider. So that's how I ended up here.

Below is my final approach. Next time I'll definitely make some changes, like switching to Nottingham yeast. Other things I'll keep the same, like letting it go dry and my approach to the cinnamon snot conundrum. But overall, I'm EXTREMELY happy with the result. I sampled some from the keg tonight and it tastes great already. There's just a slight hint of cinnamon that you can smell and taste, and it really does make it taste like apple pie. Hopefully I'll have some left when the fall holidays roll around!

5.5 gallons Tree Top (aerated via the jug shake method for apfelwein)
8 cans AJ concentrate (thawed)
Montrachet (dry pitch)
Yeast nutrient
OG: 1.066 @ 65F

3 weeks at 68-70F in the primary
FG: 0.999 @ 68F
Cider was crystal clear at that point

Racked to a bucket (for ease of finding the right level of sweetness) and backsweetened with 5 cans AJ concentrate (thawed)
Added sorbate and kmeta
Transferred to 23L carboy
Gravity after backsweetening: 1.015
ABV: 8.1%

Let the cider sit for a few days, transferred 5 gallons to keg and added caramel syrup
Modified caramel syrup recipe. Used dark brown sugar. Also added 2 cinnamon sticks to the brown sugar/water mixture. Simmered mixture over low heat for 30 minutes.
Gravity after adding syrup: 1.018

I don't have a kegerator so I'm carbonating in my nifty Cool-Brewing bag (you guys should check them out) at ~45-50F and 15 psi. The plan is to bottle once it's carbed up because I've got more shelf space in the pantry than floor space!

IMG_20130804_152624[1].jpg

IMG_20130809_173211[1].jpg

IMG_20130809_173146[1].jpg

My gf and I were adding a shot of whipped cream vodka to each glass!! That made it real tasty!!

You are a culinary god. I'm pasteurizing my first batch as I type and I gave this idea a shot and...wow. I'm considering how I can work in that flavor in the next batch because it really works.

Hats off to you sir! :mug:

Cheesy_Goodness said:
You are a culinary god. I'm pasteurizing my first batch as I type and I gave this idea a shot and...wow. I'm considering how I can work in that flavor in the next batch because it really works.

Hats off to you sir! :mug:

Also try Crown Royal Maple. I've been adding a shot to mine every time I drink it. It's really good!

I just bottled my batch. It took 11 days in primary.

For the syrup, I used two cinnamon sticks AND 2 tsp ground cinnamon, then ran it through a doubled-up cheesecloth into the cider. I used all that cinnamon because I knew the cheesecloth would catch most of the ground cinnamon so I needed more to impact flavor. This way I get cinnamon flavor without the hard to mix powder, hopefully. Makes sense?

My husband was a dear and capped the bottles while I filled them up:)

1157404_10153119497705103_787016923_n.jpg

Also, I initially made the syrup with the cinnamon extract and it just looked oily to me. I didn't want to risk it so I dumped it and started all over again with sticks and powder. The risk of ruining the cider just wasn't worth it to me.

AND one more thing....

For calculating the ABV, should I use the SG before back-sweetening or after?

Also try Crown Royal Maple. I've been adding a shot to mine every time I drink it. It's really good!

Noted!

AND one more thing....

For calculating the ABV, should I use the SG before back-sweetening or after?

Your final gravity before backsweetening is what you use to calculate the ABV. Anything you add when you're bottling doesn't get fermented (past making some fizz and a minimal change to the ABV) so it doesn't produce alcohol :mug:

I just got done pasteurizing my first batch of the stuff, and I noticed that some bottles have what appear to be a ring of foam along the top of the cider. It's fairly small and most don't, but I'm wondering why some have foam (presumably) along the top and some don't

Back