capping twist off bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusty1025

Reaction score
Anyone capping used twist offs?

I'm about to bottle a hard non-carbonated lemonade and i have 4 cases of miller high life bottles I'd like to use. I use my red wing capper and it crimps the threads tight but it takes very little effort to twist the caps off. They don't leak but i worry about the longevity of the seal.

Any thoughts?

Cheers Dusty

Never had a problem with em. Even had a few sit in the basement for a couple of years, and held the carbonation fine.

I've never had a problem either. It is all I use and I have probably bottled one thousand.

However, I should specify that I use a bench capper and not a wing capper.

I've also heard a bench capper is necessary to cap twist offs.

I've never tried though myself.

I've capped twist-offs before, and they seem to get stuck in the bell of my capper(super agata bench capper).

You can cap twist offs with the wing-capper if they have the shoulder for the capper to grab onto. If they don't, you'd need a bench capper.

You can cap twist offs with the wing-capper if they have the shoulder for the capper to grab onto. If they don't, you'd need a bench capper.

How far from the threads does the bottom of the shoulder have to be? On the Miller High Life bottles i"m using it is a lip about 1/8 inch wide directly under the threads.

I've capped some with my wing capper (had the shoulder) but they never held carbonation. I wouldn't mess with them without a bench capper.

so if i get a bench capper do you think twist offs would hold pressure if i bottle condition and heat pasteurize a sweet lemonade?

Twist offs work fine--but I don't really trust wing cappers with the bottles with a tiny ridge. They break.

Stand cappers work better on all fronts.

Twist offs work fine--but I don't really trust wing cappers with the bottles with a tiny ridge. They break.

Stand cappers work better on all fronts.

I'm picking up a bench capper tonight. Then we'll see it the twist offs can handle pasteurization pressures.

Back