EZ-Cap Bottles Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrowleyMonster

Reaction score
So I have some EZ-Cap quart and pint bottles and they are supposed to take crown caps, and they look like they should. And they do, sort of. I am having a hard time getting "Big Red" to cap these. It wants to push itself off the bottle before crimping the cap down. Is there another capper that works better for these bottles? Yeah I can use the swing tops but I rather use crown caps for conditioning and storage, and the swing tops just for keeping a half drank bottle fresh for a few hours or overnight.

So I have some EZ-Cap quart and pint bottles and they are supposed to take crown caps, and they look like they should. And they do, sort of. I am having a hard time getting "Big Red" to cap these. It wants to push itself off the bottle before crimping the cap down. Is there another capper that works better for these bottles? Yeah I can use the swing tops but I rather use crown caps for conditioning and storage, and the swing tops just for keeping a half drank bottle fresh for a few hours or overnight.
No disrespect, but I'm wondering why you don't like using the swing tops from the start ?

I've found some bottles have the shoulder that the capper grabs onto closer to the mouth so it doesn't have the leverage.
I recycle those into the recycling bin. I forget what brand I found that on but it was one of the big ones.

No disrespect, but I'm wondering why you don't like using the swing tops from the start ?
When swing tops open, they open suddenly. Can't slowly bleed off pressure as easily as when lifting a crown cap. If a crown capped bottle is a bit overcarbed I can usually avoid a geyser incident by gently bleeding off the gas.

Back