Bottle conditioning - PET vs Grolsch-style bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VentureRider

Reaction score
New cider brewer questions - as I near my first attempt at bottle conditioning, I'm torn between using PET bottles or grolsch-style (flip-top) bottles. I DO plan on kegging soon...possibly before my next brew session. Once I begin kegging, I will still want to bottle-condition so I can take some brew with me when I travel.

The huge advantage of PET is IF I over-carbonation, the risk of flying glass-shards is reduced to zero. On the other hand, it seems that the flip-top bottle would "flip it's lid or leak pressure" before the bottle would explode...kind of like a PRV. As you can tell, I'm "paranoid" about bottle bombs.

Do PET bottles with twist-lids seal as well as a capped bottle? Do PET bottles seal as well as flip-top bottles?

Anyone used both that can steer me in the right direction?

I have been using both flip top and PET bottles for bottle conditioning. The PET bottles seem to hold carbonation just fine as long as the cap is on tight. I only make small batches, so I drink them rather quickly, but I do have some PET bottles of graf that have stayed pressurised a month now.
Pros of PET bottles:
They are super cheap
They hold pressure
They come with soda or seltzer water in them
You can squeeze them to gauge carbonation

As long as your cider is dry and you don't add more than 2 oz priming sugar per gallon bottle bombs shouldn't be an issue.

Grolsch bottles look much nicer than PET ;)
Do at least 1 PET even if you go for grolsch to assess carbonation.
I have to admit to bottling most cider in PET bottles as it is so convenient. I use 1 litre bottles and I drink them fast.
So far, they've been holding the fizz, but yeah, they don't get very old

Back