Can't brew for another 7 months :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_C_Tripp

Reaction score
I'm shipping to TX for training in June and I'll be there til late December. So as of this week, I can no longer brew =(

btw, these are military barracks, so no, I can't bring **** lol

Where you being stationed ??

Maybe some local homebrewers would have you over on the weekends for a beer or 6. :tank: I know i'd be glad to give a few to a fellow homebrewer in the armed forces.

Lackland AFB in San Antonio. I don't know where I'll be after that. But as soon as I get stationed somewhere semi-permanently, I'll get housing allowance and grab an apartment or rent a house so I can continue there. This is just a short term hiatus.

You just enlist?? If so good luck it is a while ride. If not what are you training for. I have spent a lot of time there in the last 15.5 years.

Thanks for serving.

Sorry about the homebrew situation; if you ever make it to western MA you can drink as much of mine as you can manage. ;)

You just enlist?? If so good luck it is a while ride. If not what are you training for. I have spent a lot of time there in the last 15.5 years.
Yeah I enlisted a few months ago, I'm shipping to Lackland for BMT and Tech School. AFSC is Security Forces.

Yeah I enlisted a few months ago, I'm shipping to Lackland for BMT and Tech School. AFSC is Security Forces.

3P071 here be aware you will be restricted to base for most of the time you are in tech school. If you are married you will be able to live off base. If not married you will be most likley in the dorms on base until you are a SrA.

3P071 here be aware you will be restricted to base for most of the time you are in tech school. If you are married you will be able to live off base. If not married you will be most likley in the dorms on base until you are a SrA.

Yeah I've heard as much. I enlisted for 6 years active dut soy I'll be promoted to SrA after 8 weeks (I think) or once I graduate tech school. Whichever comes first.

Yeah I've heard as much. I enlisted for 6 years active dut soy I'll be promoted to SrA after 8 weeks (I think) or once I graduate tech school. Whichever comes first.

Shoot me a PM you have been lied to. It is a minimum of 24 months after you put on A1C that you will see SrA expect 36 months.

Don't get me wrong I loved my job and love the military and would never tell someone not to join but you should know the real facts not just the spew that the recruiters tell you. They have a quota and will tell you what you want to hear to meet that quota

Sucks about not being able to brew. Im in the Marines and I am at a PME school for a few more weeks, will be 9 total. I made sure I brewed a bunch to age in the primary while I was gone. I will have two cornys full and 20 gallons to back it up when I return! Good luck you to!

Shoot me a PM you have been lied to. It is a minimum of 24 months after you put on A1C that you will see SrA expect 36 months.

Don't get me wrong I loved my job and love the military and would never tell someone not to join but you should know the real facts not just the spew that the recruiters tell you. They have a quota and will tell you what you want to hear to meet that quota

Heres an excerpt from my contract, "I understand I will be promoted, with pay and allowances, to pay grade E-3 upon completion of Technical Training, Indoctrination Training for Pararescue/Combat Controller AFSCs, or after 20 weeks of Technical Training, whichever comes first."

You were right, it's E3, which is A1C. Nobody lied to me I just made a mistake in my last post.

I wish they made me an e-3 when I finished my school! I didn't get that until about 1 1/2 years in!

It's an incentive to enlist for 6 years. The guys that for in for 4 don't get the same deal. Or did you enlist for 6 as well?

No, I enlisted originally for a five year contract to do aviation electronics. That was in 2004. I work on huey's and cobras for the Marines. Did three tours in Iraq. Right now I am teaching in the schoolhouse on NAS pensacola. We have air force there. I only got to go teach there as a reenlistment incentive. Everything I hear about the air force, they have it better than we do! I am a SGT (E-5) now, looking to pick up SSGT this year if the board goes alright.

Good to hear, just don't expect to be able to move out until you hit SrA the only way they will allow you to move out is if you get married or if they don't have enough dorm space. Brewing was not allowed in the dorms at the bases I have been at. I have even seen it where the doorms were dry because of people being dumb. You will enjoy being a cop but we did eat our own and the deployment rate is crazy. Are you looking to go nortern tier get (PRP)ed and do nuke work or be a security and le troop.

I want to do actual policing. I definitely don't wanna stand around all day guarding a stupid missile. lol I want to go into law enforcement after I'm out of the military.

Well prp is a program for nuke security. Good for you wanting to do LE real cop work. Northern tier is mostly nuke security. Expect to cut your teeth on the gates. You will live on them for a while. Excell and get your QC job performance test done asap and your cdc's done and you should be able to move off the gates and end up doing real cop work after that.. if you have questions feel free to shoot me a message.

Latest posts

Back