Candi sugar added while high krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xben

Reaction score
Hi,

I read few other posts thatI can boil my candi sugar, let it cool and add it to fermenter while fermentation is at its peak (krausen). This way, I could adjust the quantity according to the measured OG. What happened is such like a big mess! While cooling, I noticed the sugar was slowly turning to a thick syrup, so I decided to add it before it turned back solid... and this is exactly what happened when I added this syrup : a thick block of sugar to the bottom of the fermenter!!

As it's not really mixed with the wort/beer, do you think the yeast (WLP530) will do something with it now?

Next time I'll stick with my ususal 20mintutes boil and deal with the numbers.. I just hope it will not harm my beer!

Thanks!

It's possible that the sugar brick will dissolve some into the wort and be fermented to some degree. Sugar has to be in solution (dissolved) for yeast to work on it -- sacc doesn't have teeth after all! The safest way to add sugar (as you likely already know) is to ladle 1/2 gallon of boiling wort over it in a separate pot, stir to dissolve, then dump it into your boil kettle near the end of the boil. That ensures you don't scorch sugars on the bottom of the kettle. Your beer will still be beer! You could try giving the fermentor a few swirls to help dissolve some sugar.

What do you think if I remove the sugar ball from the fermenter, heat it up in water (let say half a gallon) and put it back without cooling? For sure it will kill some yeast but it don't know if it will form a block again..

thanks

There is hope.. I went to stir the solution and I noticed the big block almost disappeared. There was sugar at the bottom and I was able to destroy it into a bunch of small pieces. I stirred like I never stirred before (trying to not oxydize) and I feel the heat will do its job and dissolve what remains.

I will stir again few times today while the heat it there. I cross my fingers!

If it was my beer, I just roll with it as it is and let it be a lesson learned for next time. If the block of sugar at the bottom of the fermenter is substantial and you just can't let it be, I'd simmer up an extra pound or so of sugar on the stove, cool it and add it into the fermenter.

FWIW, I'd recommend not using candi sugar. It has no flavor is pretty much a rip off. Go for candi syrup instead.

why do you think that is?

Why what is? Why candi sugar is still recommended? I dunno, old recipes that perpetuate myths? First, few if any Belgian breweries use candi sugar. They either use table sugar or candi syrup. Second, years ago when I began suspecting that candi sugar was bogus, I did a blind tasting of plain, amber and dark candi sugar. Neither I nor the other taster could detect any difference in them...they all tasted like plain sugar.

Why what is? Why candi sugar is still recommended? I dunno, old recipes that perpetuate myths? First, few if any Belgian breweries use candi sugar. They either use table sugar or candi syrup. Second, years ago when I began suspecting that candi sugar was bogus, I did a blind tasting of plain, amber and dark candi sugar. Neither I nor the other taster could detect any difference in them...they all tasted like plain sugar.

I am all for the blind sensory test, but I am trying to wrap my mind on how making a candy sugar lends nothing to the final product vs candy syrup. I acidify my sugars when I make them at home, they have a wonderful flavor. I will admit they ferment out very well, but that is generally the idea with adding them to any beer in large quantity is an attn. boost and an abv boost. I now want to go through the trouble of asking and finding out for myself what gives a better flavor the candy or the syrup....

once I think I have something going for me you rip another rug out from under my feet denny... ha :mug:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how one does a blind tasting of three items so visually different.
Unless the testers were literally "blind(ed)". :)

Anyway, I've made both rock and syrup candi (switched to the latter as the former is a pita to use) and while I've never done a blind test I believe there's a strong relationship between caramel notes and increasing darkness.

Besides, when you get that syrup to a ruby color on the stove it's so beautiful it's worth it just for that...

Cheers! :mug:

I am all for the blind sensory test, but I am trying to wrap my mind on how making a candy sugar lends nothing to the final product vs candy syrup. I acidify my sugars when I make them at home, they have a wonderful flavor. I will admit they ferment out very well, but that is generally the idea with adding them to any beer in large quantity is an attn. boost and an abv boost. I now want to go through the trouble of asking and finding out for myself what gives a better flavor the candy or the syrup....

once I think I have something going for me you rip another rug out from under my feet denny... ha :mug:

Well, man, I've spent 20 years trying to debunk conventional wisdom brewing myths. If you haven't tried the syrup, you'll be in for a shock at the difference. I used candi sugar for years. The first time I used the syrup it was like "THIS is the flavor I've been missing".

I'm trying to wrap my head around how one does a blind tasting of three items so visually different.
Unless the testers were literally "blind(ed)". :)

Anyway, I've made both rock and syrup candi (switched to the latter as the former is a pita to use) and while I've never done a blind test I believe there's a strong relationship between caramel notes and increasing darkness.

Besides, when you get that syrup to a ruby color on the stove it's so beautiful it's worth it just for that...

Cheers! :mug:

Yes, we were blindfolded. We only tasted the commercially available Brewer's Garden variety.

Back