Can you taste/smell the belgian flavor/aroma right away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
After fermentation is complete and youre on your way to bottle/keg a beer with belgian yeast. Does it allready have belgian characteristics to it or does this only come with aging?

It depends on what you mean by "Belgian characteristics", but if you mean a spicy or phenol-y aroma/flavor, then I'd say, yes, assuming you used a yeast that will give you those characteristics.

If you mean a highly effervescent beer like some Belgians can be, then no, it has to bottle condition/carb up first.

Yes you can taste the Belgian characteristics after fermentation is done. However, aging will improve the flavors and make them much more complex. I find the darker styles take much longer to reach their full potential than something lighter. For a BDSA I figure on opening the first bottle at 4 months and know that they will continue to age. A tripel I may take the first taste at 2-3 months.

Back when I first started brewing I drank up a few of the Belgians I brewed pretty young. They were good, but I soon figured out that with several months of age on them they were much better. I was pissed that I drank several of them up before they reached their full potential. I recently had a bottle of one of the first Belgian I ever brewed that was over 5 years old. I handed my wife the glass for a taste and nearly did not get the glass back.

I had a tripel that I brewed and has been in the bottles for 2 months last night. It was very good but I felt that it is still improving. Next taste in a month.

So, yes they will have that Belgian flavor, but they definitely will improve with some age.

Back