Can this yeast do more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
Making a black Saison with wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison.

Used 7 lbs Pilsner LME, Mini mash with 5 lbs of malt and oats. Also one lb of inverted brown sugar.

OG was .063 (adjusted)

It's been at 90-95 for around 2 weeks.

Current gravity is .016 (adjusted)

That is 75% conversion can I expect more form this strain? The specs say 76-80% attenuation.

Any thoughts?

Yes, give it more time. 3724 is one of my favorite strains. You just need lots of patience. Let it go another 2 weeks and take another reading.

BigBadMikey- Have you ever used 3711 French Saison yet? I was wondering how it compared to the 3724? I just made a saison with one fermenter 3711 and the other Wyeast Bier de Garde (forget the number, seaonal release). The 3711 is amazing compared to the BDG. I'd like to try the recipe again with another saison strain and was thinking of that.
Tom

Hi Tom, Yes, I have used both. There is a tradeoff for either yeast. I like the flavor profile of 3724 to 3711. But 3711 is a beast, will ferment the crap out of your wort. It is a machine. I am normally very impatient, but because 3724 imparts such fantastic esters, I have learned to be patient. I have also constructed a heated fermentation chamber just for my 3724 brews. I have brewed a couple of BGDs with 3725?, and I much prefer 3724 saisons. Such an amazing yeast. I can't say enough about it. Fermentation temperature control is paramount with it. Damn, now I have to brew another saison!!!

Yes, 3725 it was. 3711 is definitely a beast! Took my recipe down to 1.000! I have a heated chamber as well and cranked both up to 80 over a week, then about 86-87 for a couple days to really see what I could do with them. The 3711 seemed to pick up the most esters for me during the last step up. I'm anxious to put the 3711 and 3724 head to head now that I'm hearing your experiences!
tom

I pitched a starter of both 3711 and 3724 on my current Saison and got the best of both worlds.

well I bottled this weekend. I didn't see any air lock activity for about a week and a half but the gravity was down to .011 (adjusted), which will make it around a 7% ABV brew.

The taste of this batch is terrific. Hints of coffee and chocolate. It was tasting very good so far. I primed my bottles with brown sugar. I'm excited to see how this bad boy turns out.

Back