Can this pot be saved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediMeister

Reaction score
I rescued this from sitting outside at my dad's for the last two years. It was partially covered but still has significant rust an chips after me sanding and trying to clean it without using chemical cleaners yet. First time posting pics so hope I do it right.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p543/JediMeister/IMG_0459.jpg

You can see the rust spots. I'm trying to save money but I need an upgrade from my 5 gal kettle.

i would hit that with a soda blaster or hit it with rust b gone. wash the pot really well and heat (not over heat) it for a bit. it's salvageable.

I rescued this from sitting outside at my dad's for the last two years. It was partially covered but still has significant rust an chips after me sanding and trying to clean it without using chemical cleaners yet. First time posting pics so hope I do it right.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p543/JediMeister/IMG_0459.jpg

You can see the rust spots. I'm trying to save money but I need an upgrade from my 5 gal kettle.

Meh, hot oxyclean and a weekend of debauchery later all will be well.....

And failing that, take a scotch brite pad and some undiluted starsan to the pot - a little elbow grease and that pot should look shiny and new.

Is it stainless or aluminum? Based on the pic, I would have guessed aluminum, and if so, you want to avoid things like oxy clean. Neither would naturally rust, so I'm assuming some mild steel was in the pot during it's outdorr time. I agree it appears salvageable, but depending on the material of the pot, certain techniques are a bad idea.

So let it sit in oxyclean for a day or two and it will clean itself up? I was worried about letting anything sit in there for too long.

Is it stainless or aluminum? Based on the pic, I would have guessed aluminum, and if so, you want to avoid things like oxy clean. Neither would naturally rust, so I'm assuming some mild steel was in the pot during it's outdorr time. I agree it appears salvageable, but depending on the material of the pot, certain techniques are a bad idea.

I was thinking I read that somewhere. To be honest I don't know what material the pot is made of or how to tell. I assumed it was aluminum. Is there a safe method for all metals? I've heard of Barkeepers friend but not sure if they sell it in my area. I will look into this more tomorrow.

If it's aluminum, make sure you boil a load of water in it at least twice to build a good oxide layer. After it's cleaned of rust, that is. Then make sure you don't use anything too abrasive to clean it after you've built a good oxide layer (oxide=not shiny aluminum). Correct me if I'm wrong, I've had a few homebrews tonight...

It looks like an aluminum turkey fryer pot. If that's the case, oxy clean will oxidize the hell out of it overnight... Trust me, I'm speaking from experience! I'm talking about a completely black pot! It took a lot of elbow grease to bring the 'ol girl back to her former glory.

Steel pot... Just get some Naval Jelly and it will take off any rust and pitting.

Aluminum.... Equal parts of; Baking soda, cream of tartar and vinegar. Mix the baking soda with the cream of tartar then add the vinegar and a little SOAP (not detergent). Rub the paste all over the insides of the pot and it should remove all the mess.

If it is aluminum you have to do a boil to get the oxide layer back.

OMO

bosco

You should be able to pick up barkeepers friend in most large supermarkets, and I think I've seen it at walmart, so you should be able to find it in your area. Any kind of mild polishing abrasive should work, so long as it doesn't say don't use on aluminum.

Back