Can I use Cider with potassium sorbate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryH

Reaction score
I was not paying attention and bought cider with potassium sorbate "added for freshness." Is this enough to halt fermentation or are the commercial concentrations too low to make a difference?

There was a thread somewhat recently about this - seems the OP managed to get the cider going by pitching on a HUGE cake. K-sorbate, IIRC, halts reproduction - not fermentation.

That said - why bother. Keep what you picked up on hand for back sweetening and get juice without preservatives to ferment.

Commercial amounts will keep the yeast from reproducing, and will slow fermentation. You could ferment with a large, fresh healthy yeast cake. But.....
I'm not sure what off flavors may be produced as I have never done it.
I would never say never. but I agree with curtis97322, use it to back sweeten, or just cut with vodka. Get something without preservatives to spend your time, yeast and fermenter on.
Best of luck.

yeah i started a thread about this recently

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/fermenting-cider-preservatives-130000/

i did get it to ferment by pitching on a whole yeast cake. it actually fermented vigorously infact. however, the wyeast sweet mead yeast must not have liked fermenting in the potassium sorbate, and it created a stinky product. the rotten egg smell seems to be dissipating slowly, but overall it smells undrinkable still. its been in the carboy about 2 months.

i also did a 1 gallon batch with safale s-04 that i had saved from a previous batch's cake. that one smells fine. your results may vary, but I say if you already bought the stuff then make a starter or use a yeast cake and go for it. let us know how it works out

Latest posts

Back