Can I turn Hard Ginger beer into wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalaloch

Reaction score
I have 20 gallons of hard Ginger beer I made (4) 5 gallon carboys and I thought I’d like it but the taste doesn’t have enough body- it tastes like water with ginger in it. I could bottle it as beer and slowly drink it, but was wondering if I could just add some sugar and wine yeast and make it into a dry ginger wine? I’m not sure if it would taste better as a wine?

I am at approximately 9-11% ABV in each carboy so I’d probably want to make the ABV about 14% for wine correct? How much sugar then would I need to add per 5 gallon carboy?

I used S0-4 yeast for the ginger beer, I was thinking of using Lavin D47 wine yeast? Will that make it a nice dry wine? Thoughts?

My other thought was to dump 5 lbs of either frozen cherries or strawberries in each one but don’t think that will add any body to it, just a different taste? Thoughts?

For more body, add any combination of calcium chloride, maltodextrin, and/or tannins (e.g. FT Blanc Soft).

Just adding a bunch of sugar + wine yeast would only make it worse.

Back