ginger wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeterpee

Reaction score
all the recipes ive seen use a really low amount of ginger like 75g per litre and to boil as if making ginger tea. does this amount provide a strong ginger taste?
im thinking of making 5 gallons and adding some chillies in with it. ive got 5kg of ginger to use but looking like this is completely overkill?
as anyone juiced ginger and used the juice?
is there a maximum amount of ginger you would use before the taste is too overpowering? (i like ginger)
i was going to add in 2 small medium strength red chillies per litre and about 6 full lemons with 1kg of sugar per litre

I followed a recipe shared on winemaking talk. It called for 5 oz of powdered ginger per 5 gallons. When I transferred to secondary it had a nice but not overwhelming hit of ginger. Ginger root can be so variable in strength. Sorry not really an answer to your question but an option.

In the Judith Irwin book 'A Step By Step Guide to Making Home Made Wine', her Ginger (Med Dry White Wine) recipe only uses 75g of fresh root ginger (recipe for 1 imperial gallon / 6 bottles) , and she writes of it:-
"A wine that definitely takes on the characteristics of the ingredient, and is very popular with people who like the flavour of ginger."
I'm making it to her recipe at the moment, but it's just finishing the secondary fermentation in a demijon, so I haven't sampled it yet. It smelled nicely of ginger during primary fermentation though.

Last edited:
Too much ginger can also get hot/spicy. You’re using chili peppers too.

5kg of ginger? = about 11 US pounds? Thats alot of ginger to use up.

thanks for the replies. im going to make 5 gallons of both recipes, powder and root.
im going to use slightly more root per gallon though.

yeah its alot, i was thinking about juicing it all and using the juice for the wine but ive not found any recipes that have done it that way. i make a lot of ginger tea so it will get used up.

I just made up a recipe of my own for the one I just bottled. I grated fresh ginger root and fermented it in a straining bag with 2 blood oranges. I used 2 lbs of shredded ginger for 1 gallon of wine. At the time of bottling it had a nice medium heat that hit the back of the throat. I will let you know in a fee months how it is after bottle aging if you are interested.

I just made up a recipe of my own for the one I just bottled. I grated fresh ginger root and fermented it in a straining bag with 2 blood oranges. I used 2 lbs of shredded ginger for 1 gallon of wine. At the time of bottling it had a nice medium heat that hit the back of the throat. I will let you know in a fee months how it is after bottle aging if you are interested.
I’d love to know how this turns out as well!

Back