Can I submerge my regulator????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
I think I have developed a leak. My Tankside Co2 gauge suddenly dropped a bunch overnight. I have sprayed everything with starsan and I don't see any bubbles anywhere and I have listened everywhere and see no leaks. I can't figure out where a leak could be?

Wondering if I should turn the gas on and submerge my regulator in water and see if I see any bubbles???

Bad idea?? Any other suggestions?

Do you have a shut off valve right after your regulator and before everything else? Close it there. Reset your pressure and see how it holds overnight. If you lose it there, then you have a leak somewhere in the regulator itself, or at the regulator to tank point.

Also, what is your gauge reporting? Less than 500? Then you need to go get it refilled very soon, because it's almost empty if it isn't already and you're living off the already carbed beer to force it out through the taps

Or did it go from like ~800 to 500? I forget offhand, but I know when I initially reconnect my tank after a fill it will be higher than the 500 mark and then settle down. This has something to do with the temperature of the co2 in the tank (I keep my tank inside my keezer, so I don't know how it works on the outside).

I've been battling co2 lea problems for the last 2 months. I went and replaced all the O rings on my kegs. We'll see how things are in a few weeks (my last 2 tanks lasted less than 2 weeks).

Wouldn't I see bubbles from the star san? It couldn't be I used it all? 7lb tank force carbed and distributed two kegs, cleaned another keg and purged it and filled the keg to 30PSI?? To check for leaks and store it till I fill it. Did alot of the carbing at 30PSI. But I shouldn't have used it all yet should I?

I did notice I have no washer between the regulator and the tank, but wouldn't I see a reaction to the starsan if it was there and see some bubbles?

Wouldn't I see bubbles from the star san? It couldn't be I used it all? 7lb tank force carbed and distributed two kegs, cleaned another keg and purged it and filled the keg to 30PSI?? To check for leaks and store it till I fill it. Did alot of the carbing at 30PSI. But I shouldn't have used it all yet should I?

I did notice I have no washer between the regulator and the tank, but wouldn't I see a reaction to the starsan if it was there and see some bubbles?

You should... go fill the tank and see if it drops again. You can try what I suggested, if you want to see if the regulator itself is jacked.

No temp change.

Well when I went and got the tank filled I talked to the guy and I am SUPPOSED to have a plastic washer between the regulator and the tank. I had also used silicon tape which is a no no too I guess.

I also got some leak test stuff they had. Makes lots of bubbles if there is any leak no matter how small.

My hose was kind of old an brittle so I changed that as well.

Hopefully I solved my probs.

Just FYI, ordinary liquid dishsoap does exactly the same thing as Leak Tec. No need to pay for the fancy little bottle.

Just a FYI, one should backseat the valves (open all the way and firm open) on the bottle. They can leak through the stem. Its rare, but I have seen it a couple times.

As far as submerging, the only item I'd be concerned with is the gauge(s) They usually aren't sealed to atmosphere. (unless liquid filled)

Back