Can I still use this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWhleDr

Reaction score
OK, tested out my new MLT with 6lbs. of grain. Bulkhead worked great, grain did not clog cpvc manifold, so it worked out. Question is, I did not sparge and stopped brewing process and drained "wort" into a pot to save. Can I use this "LME" tomorrow? I did not check for conversion but it is nice and sweet. I figure if anything got into it, it will be boiled out. I know it sounds crazy but I had something important come up during the one hour mash process. Thanks for replies to an odd question.

This exact type of question was covered in this month's issue of BYO. Basically it said that to collect runnings for boiling later would require a sterilization process that would negate any time saved by splitting up the beer making process into two separate days (that was the goal of the person posing the question).

In short, its a crapshoot. As you didn't sparge, I can't see that you would have collected that much to be worth the potential of spoiling an entire batch (if you did in fact pick up an infection). The article did list infections that can affect the wort "pre-boil."

My suggestion is to err on the side of caution, grain isn't that expensive, and start the process from square one.

I totally agree with Lion, you are only out of about 12.00, the question is are you willing to risk the price of hops, gas, and 3 weeks of fermenting for 12.00, thats just my .2, good luck on your future brews:mug:

Forgive me, maybe I am missing something.

I think it will be fine to use. Especially if you are only talking about one day, and you refrigerated it. If you did not refrigerate it, it is probably sour, and you would make a sour beer. But boiling would kill any infection.

For a day you would be fine if it was refrigerated. Otherwise... it is a crapshoot. Nothing will be in there that can hurt you (after you boil and make it into beer) the only thing is that you might have a bit of sourness I'd think. If you have the time and inclination it is worth a try.

I've seen MANY brewers who mash the night before, then boil the next morning, keepign the wort in a bucket overnight...and they all make good beer that isn't infected.

As long as you did it quickly like that I see no problems. Or you can put it in ziploc bags, freeze it, then thaw and boil later for use in a starter.

Did you do a mashout? If you did not denature the enzymes they will still be actively breaking down complex starches and sugars into simple ones making the wort more fermentable as time goes by. You could end up with a really dry beer. I think I would at least heat the wort up to 170-180 or so for a few min to pasteurize it. Review the Brew Strong episode on enzymes(episode 4 IIRC) for more detail than you really want to know.

Unless it has furry stuff growing on top, I'd boil it, throw in some hops and ferment it for a couple weeks. Malted grain just wants to become beer. Relax, have a homebrew and boil away.

Latest posts

Back