Can I recarbonate beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbeavers

Reaction score
Kind of a dumb question but here is my reason why. I recently brewed a batch of brown ale. It's good but not much head and missing something. So I added a spoonful of maltodextrin and after that...golden. Seems to really balance out the flavours and perfect amount of head.

So I was wondering if I could quickly open each beer (I'm using PET bottles, so twist off), add some maltodextrin and some candi carbonation drops. Reseal and leave...

Would that work or is this completely crazy? I could imagine there is still enough active yeast to eat up the sugar to recarbonate.

Thats been done numerous times in the past by many. The only real risk is overcarbonating.

simply opening the bottle doesn't fully decarb the beer it just releases the pressure in the airspace. So adding the new sugar will add more carbonation on top of what you've already got if you seal them back up.

Latest posts

Back