Can i get a lil help Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
ok so i just brewed a batch witha new pot. i am having trouble gettin it down to 68 to pitch this SAFALE 33 that i rehydrated almost 2 hours ago. temp is at 78. its just takin time. i got it in the carboy and in the bath wit ice. is it ok for the yeast to sit that long? it covered and all sanitary. its barely bubblin. i rehydrated with wort as per fermentis website.

Should be okay for a bit, as long as it is covered and sanitary. I suspect you will be cooled in another hour or two? How are you chilling it? If you are going to take another couple of hours maybe throw it in the fridge to cool it down (the yeast)

ok cool. the yeast around 80 degrees and the wort is gettin there. but its prolly 78. i was told if i pitch this yeast any higher than 75 it will be fusel city

I may be wrong here....I am a nrew brewer...bugt I think if you pitch it at a little bit high temp (like 78) you will be ok,,,,,as long as you odont ferment it at that temp.....i.e. pitch at 78 and it cools and ferments 2-3 weeks at 68 F is ok....

Please correct me if wrong guys.....

Pitching high would be OK (not ideal) but you'd NEED a way to keep the fermenting beer cool, as it will make heat when it's working. If you got a fridge for fermenting, then you're good. If you're relying on room temp, wait for it to cool more and then pitch.

thank you cats for the quick replies. I went ahead and rehydrated 2 packets and pitched at 68-70. in about 3 hours it was already workin. I think I'm start using liquid yeast for now on. just keep readin bad stuff about the dry stuff. thanks again and Gid Bless.

I think I'm start using liquid yeast for now on. just keep readin bad stuff about the dry stuff. thanks again and Gid Bless.

There are a lot more options with liquid, but dry is fine for many beers. I now use a lot of S-04, S-05, and I have a couple of experiments right now with S-23 (lager) dry yeasts. I really like the convenience of dry yeast.

thank you cats for the quick replies. I went ahead and rehydrated 2 packets and pitched at 68-70. in about 3 hours it was already workin. I think I'm start using liquid yeast for now on. just keep readin bad stuff about the dry stuff. thanks again and Gid Bless.

One option for using dry yeasts in the future(even though they offer fewer options than liquid yeasts, they are pretty cheap) just wait until your wort reaches pithching temp then hydrate your yeast and pitch. It is OK for wort to sit for a little while(a couple of hours or so) without any problems.

Good luck and keep on brewing:rockin:

I had the same issue a while back. i could NOT get the wort down to temp.. Could the wort be stuck in a fermentation chamber over night after geting it as low as possible then pitch the dry yeast the next evening?

Back