Can a paintball pressurized gas cylinder be adapted to Oxygenate wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently acquired two paintball compressed gas cylinders. I was wondering if they could be refilled with oxygen and be used to oxygenate wort?

Short version: no.

There are two types of paintball cylinders: Co2 and High Pressure Air (HPA) / compressed air tanks. The Co2 tanks are a definite no; they aren't rated to contain the pressure from compressed air, and obviously using them filled with Co2 is counter-productive. Paintball facilities that fill HPA tanks do filter their air to some extend, but definitely not enough to be considered safe for SCUBA use. If it's not rated for a breathing application, I wouldn't put it in your beer.

I've worked and have been involved in the paintball industry for 12 years. I've seen how most field compressors are treated maintenance wise. I wouldn't consider doing it under any circumstance, unless you bought a BRAND NEW cylinder AND only fill it at a dive shop with superbly clean air.

Joe

Back