DIY Oxygenating Adapter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewall

Reaction score
I have a Blichmann Inline Oxygenation kit and would like to use the oxygen stone to directly add oxygen to my Brewbuilt fermenter. I am thinking I can add a 1.5 tri clamp butterfly valve to the sample port, a 4 inch tube, and tri clamp adapter with 1/2 inch MPT, then lastly the oxygen stone. I have attached a picture of Blichmann oxygen stone. The length of the stone is 2.5 inches. Will this work?

Attachments

• Oxygen stone.jpg
    Oxygen stone.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The Blichmann oxygenation kit is pretty much aimed at being used inline with the wort being tranfered to the frementor. The only possible benefit to attaching it to the fermenter I can see is if you intend to use it as a carb stone as well, but that would ideally be immersed within the fermenter and carb stones on TC fittings are available for that. From your description, it sounds like you expect it to work my simply being installed in the end of a hanging hose... Maybe I'm misunderstanding; Could you draw and post a sketch of what you're asking? (Don't worry about 'artistic skills'...I don't have any myself but even a crude diagram is worth at least a hundred words :p )

The Blichmann oxygenation kit is pretty much aimed at being used inline with the wort being tranfered to the frementor. The only possible benefit to attaching it to the fermenter I can see is if you intend to use it as a carb stone as well, but that would ideally be immersed within the fermenter and carb stones on TC fittings are available for that. From your description, it sounds like you expect it to work my simply being installed in the end of a hanging hose... Maybe I'm misunderstanding; Could you draw and post a sketch of what you're asking? (Don't worry about 'artistic skills'...I don't have any myself but even a crude diagram is worth at least a hundred words :p )
The drawback in using it inline is that you need 6' to 8' of hose between you brew pot and the fermenter for contact. I am trying avoid wasted wort and to ensure the wort is getting more oxygenated efficiently. My goal is to replicate the Spike Oxygenation kit without having to spend $85 and not to have a redundant carb/oxygen stone.

https://spikebrewing.com/products/spike-oxygenation-kit?var=43036369256684#
Crude drawing attached

Attachments

• Oxygenating setup.pdf
    7.3 KB · Views: 0
If you're only using it for oxygenating, you can just hang it on a hose and dangle it in the wort for 10-20 mins (I'm not sure though, look up what folk with dangling O2 stones do for that). If you want to carb with it in the fermenter, you could try this: 1.5 TC x 1/2'' Male NPT THREADS Adapter but it does have a bit of a long stem.. If you ask @Bobby_M , he could probably source or make up a low-profile version for you. You really do want it immersed in the body of wort for either task.
:mug:

I think 10 to 20 minutes of oxygenation unless your flow rate of oxygen is very low is going to be too long.
Not many people have a DO meter to check the ppm dissolved.
Higher gravity worts I think are more difficult to increase oxygen levels I think.
I dangle the stone at 2 litres per minute 90% purity from my oxygen concentrator for 3 minutes.
8 ppm for medium gravity wort and 12 ppm for lagers I think is the target.

Latest posts

Back