Campden, K-meta and backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonicvalley

Reaction score
what happens if you reach your desired FG and rack it. Then add proper amounts of campden (1 per gal) and K-meta while backsweetening with concentrate all at the same time? are the yeasties not affected as much because of the amount of food? will it not be effective at stopping fermentation? what can i expect....

If fermentation is done, and the cider is clear, you should be fine.

If your cider is not clear, you cannot stop an active fermentation this way. Campden and Sorbate do not kill yeast, or stop fermentation. The only way to do this is pasteurization.

no, its not done, I am stopping fermentation early to retain some of the sugars. Basically following upstate mike's recipe. I just added the concentrate without waiting a few days for the campden and k-meta to do their work. just curious how that would change their effectiveness...

k-meta and campden are the same thing (just that campden is a tablet form).

Sulfite (k-meta) doesn't kill yeast, so it won't do anything to prevent fermentation from restarting.

Latest posts

Back