Camlock differences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revansCAAD8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey gang,
I originally bought all my camlocks from one place, however I just bought an extra camlock type A from another store while ordering another piece of equipment. Check this out: One is slightly different in overall size (both 1/2"), ID seems different!?, and one is SS 304 the other is 316.

Any concerns with this? For some reason I never realized/hear/read there were differences in 'Camlocks'.

Robert

20130607_000004494.jpg

20130607_000004496.jpg

20130607_000004503.jpg

There are only 4 dimensions that would cause a problem, the overall OD, the radius of the cam surface, the cam surface minor diameter and the height from the bottom end up to the center of the cam radius. If it fits, ....

Camlocks dimensions are defined by mil specs or EN (European standards) but it only applies to the shape and size of the functional parts. For example, one manufacturer could make an A or F where the sealing face is 6" away from the NPT threaded end. As long as the groove is the right width/depth and the right distance from the sealing face, the mating female coupler would lock on no problem.

The males with the slightly flared interior make locking the coupling down a little bit easier because the surface area of the sealing surface is reduced. In other words, it's easier to compress the gasket.

Okay thanks guys. Yeah both seem to fit and clamp into my Type C's fine but I haven't put fluid/pressure on the new one yet as I currently have our brewing equipment/pump put away right now.
I assume the one on the right would have a slightly reduced flow rate because of the smaller ID?

Back