Calling all Scotch drinkers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ones mentioned one of my faves... Glenmorangie. It is usually pretty cost effective.

+1 on Glenmorangie. That's always been my go-to scotch when I was out somewhere casually ... such as Detroits Tipperary Pub (a moment of silence for the Tip ...). At the Tip to start I usually ordered a shot of Glenmorangie, and pint of Guinness or a Priest Collar - a "half-and-half" made with Guinness and hard cider.

Another inexpensive choice for the single malt taste are the blended scotchs from "Teacher's" ... both the "Teacher's Origin" version (65% single malt) and the "Teacher's Highland Cream" version (45% single malt).
The Highland Cream version is $17/fifth locally for me. Far-and-away the best deal out there on single malt taste.
Teacher's also makes a good straight single malt.

So I noticed at a pub in RI that they have a Laphroaig. 40 year. $740/drink :drunk:

A single shot of Laphroaig 40yr on the U.S. East Coast ... $740.

February 23rd (middle of the cheap season)
Detroit to Glasgow ... $552
Glasgow to Islay ..... $70
Total airfair cost ........ $622 U.S.
Difference available to purchase shots once you get there ($740 - $622) ... $118 U.S.

ah ok ... so at $622 those were one-way tickets ...

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 to Aberlour, The Macallan and I, too, have Glenlivet 18yo as my usual go-to.

I also keep some Dewars 12 year around because that's my father in law's go-to.

Oh hi. Just picked this up. Needed a step up from the balvenie double wood. This stuff is amazing.

1387672713648.jpg

picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Original for my FIL for Christmas. almost got a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban for myself. dammit, I should have.

I grew up in Scotland, went to school in Aberlour, across the Spey was the Macallan distillery. I sometimes get a hankering for the west coast peaty whiskey but truly the best of the best is the 25 YO Macallan IMHO. They used to age the whisky in Sherry barrels, now they do both sherry and bourbon oak barrels I believe. The sherry barel 25 YO is the nicest, better than the 30 YO IMHO.

Sds

Back