Calling all Gamer Nerds: Favorite Video Game?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I have an all time favourite, but I love Half Life 2, Ori and the Blind Forest and The Witcher 3 with its DLCs. I am currently re-playing The Witcher 3, and I would replay any of these, anytime.
The Witcher 3 is where it's at! Love that title! I've heard great things about Ori

I had too many bug problems with NV. Game beakers. I gave up on it. Same with 76. But otherwise, as long as the bugs are manageable Bethesda RPGs tend to be good fun and good for hundreds of hours.

I had too many bug problems with NV. Game beakers. I gave up on it. Same with 76. But otherwise, as long as the bugs are manageable Bethesda RPGs tend to be good fun and good for hundreds of hours.
76 got such bad reviews and bad mother that I never gave it a chance but I still would like to try it.

Yeah I'm there mentally, as in my wits end, with xbox and them charging to play online. Old consoles I own are SNES and the NES mini that came out some years ago. I loved 64 when I was growing up and would love to get my paws on one.

I've wanted to get the Switch but paying for online play is one of the main reasons I haven't yet. With games being $60, there shouldn't be any additional cost to play online.

Luckily I kept most of my old systems. For original consoles I have NES, N64, Xbox, Wii, Wii U and Fat PS3 (though the Wii and Wii U aren't all that old). I had my SNES but a friend lost it during a move a few years ago. Still have the games though. I also have the NES, SNES and PS classics.

I played Age of empires as well back in the day. Loved msn gaming zone. That game was crazy fun online. Introduced me to online gaming and pushed me into diablo 2, RuneScape and Everquest.

I'm only slightly embarrassed to write this, but....EverQuest has had my heart and soul for 21 years. Ugh...to play ONE video game for that long!
/ooc CAMP CHECK

Wait, you still play EQ? The original? Its still around? I played from 99/00--whenever eq2 was released. Then bounced back and forth between eq1 and eq2 for about 2 years before hanging it up completely. Briefly tried again when they released some progressive servers but it just wasn't the same. At that time there wasn't very much interest at all and I assumed by now it had just drifted into nothingness.

God I miss that game sometimes.

I had a pretty decent collection of old Nintendo (all systems) and Sega, but I sold them off about 5 years ago. The only consoles I have around are a 3ds and a switch. The 3ds collects dust, mostly, but I still play a lot of Zelda: BOTW and diablo 3 on the switch. My top three would be probably be:
1. EQ1
2. Diablo 2 & 3
3. Bubble Bobble

I had/have it on NES. When I sold all of my old gamer stuff, I couldn't part with that one. It was one of like three games that I kept, besides a system to play them on.

I had/have it on NES. When I sold all of my old gamer stuff, I couldn't part with that one. It was one of like three games that I kept, besides a system to play them on.

LOL, the future is so amazing...i play the aracde version, laying in bed with a 100"+ inch screen on the wall, beer on tap...just push a button to drop a quarter in...i might not have a hover board yet, but damn!

edit: my first projector in 2001 or so cost me as much as my first car at $5000, bulbs were $500 a pop.....now i just bought a short throw projector for $80, and bulbs are only $40...and last longer!

and MAME Metal Slug Rules!

Last edited:
LOL, the future is so amazing...i play the aracde version, laying in bed with a 100"+ inch screen on the wall, beer on tap...just push a button to drop a quarter in...i might not have a hover board yet, but damn!

edit: my first projector in 2001 or so cost me as much as my first car at $5000, bulbs were $500 a pop.....now i just bought a short throw projector for $80, and bulbs are only $40...and last longer!

and MAME Metal Slug Rules!

How's the quality on that projector (mind linking it)? I've been looking to do something similar but it seems like those cheaper ones don't have great quality.

World of Warcraft sucked months if not years from my life...

A buddy will break out the original NES and we go for hours playing RBI baseball.

Finally, PGA golf on the Sega Genesis with roommates and freinds throughout college and the early 20's. Always playing for something be it drinks or dollars.

I don't game much, but GME go Brrrrrr! (well, I missed that one, but not AMC).

OK, back on topic, I'm not much of a gamer anymore. I did buy and start working through the Obduction world, but haven't touched it in a while. Maybe tonight :) It's a Myst-style game, which I love.

Favorite game ever was the Serious Sam games. Played those in my house over the network with my kids, so much fun.

World of Warcraft sucked months if not years from my life...

A buddy will break out the original NES and we go for hours playing RBI baseball.

Finally, PGA golf on the Sega Genesis with roommates and freinds throughout college and the early 20's. Always playing for something be it drinks or dollars.

Mario Cart was so primal but fun on the Nintendo. I still have the cartridges but the console took a dump long ago.

I played Age of empires as well back in the day. Loved msn gaming zone. That game was crazy fun online. Introduced me to online gaming and pushed me into diablo 2, RuneScape and Everquest.

/ooc CAMP CHECK

Wait, you still play EQ? The original? Its still around? I played from 99/00--whenever eq2 was released. Then bounced back and forth between eq1 and eq2 for about 2 years before hanging it up completely. Briefly tried again when they released some progressive servers but it just wasn't the same. At that time there wasn't very much interest at all and I assumed by now it had just drifted into nothingness.

God I miss that game sometimes.

I had a pretty decent collection of old Nintendo (all systems) and Sega, but I sold them off about 5 years ago. The only consoles I have around are a 3ds and a switch. The 3ds collects dust, mostly, but I still play a lot of Zelda: BOTW and diablo 3 on the switch. My top three would be probably be:
1. EQ1
2. Diablo 2 & 3
3. Bubble Bobble

Haha! If only people were polite enough to call a CC these days. Yes, the game is still around, and surprisingly active (at least on the Bristlebane server). They've reimagined Kunark and Velious for the most recent expansions....all in all, it's still successful at sucking way too much time from my day...

Bubble Bobble was awesome as well!!

grand theft auto vice city and San Andreas
Socom
Call of duty / warzone
Command and conquer Generals (I wish they would either remaster this or make a 2)
Recently have been on an age of empires 3 DE kick (can’t wait for IV)
Fortnite was fantastic until they ruined it with updates

I’ve recently switched over from console and built a gaming PC.

Haha! If only people were polite enough to call a CC these days. Yes, the game is still around, and surprisingly active (at least on the Bristlebane server). They've reimagined Kunark and Velious for the most recent expansions....all in all, it's still successful at sucking way too much time from my day...

Bubble Bobble was awesome as well!!
Nice! Pre-Planes of power was my favorite times. I loved the progression of PoP, but the game really started to feel smaller after that. I was on Morell-Thule, and then that was absorbed into the Nameless server I believe. In a lot of ways, EQ ruined gaming for me. I've never been able to recapture that kind of rush in a game. I often find myself wondering about the folks in my core group that I spent every night with, for 5 or so years straight. Lost touch with everyone at some point or another.

How's the quality on that projector (mind linking it)?

this is the model....
Viewsonic PJD6353s

honestly just ordered it. it's used and has 4000 hours on the lamp, but a new bulb is only $40...as i type this i'm doing it on a Viewsonic Pro8200 1080p projector...can pick one up now used for less then $200....

Husband bought me a Nintendo Switch Lite last year, all I play on it is Super Mario 64. That game has some great memories for me, when my daughter was younger she played the hell out of it and got her mother addicted too. If I can wrest the xbox from the husband I play EA Sports golf.

Forgot to mention Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. DOS WWII combat flight sim. Fantastic back in the day.

I've been mainly a PC gamer my whole life building them, overclocking them, modding you name it.

I would say Counter Strike, Battlefield 2 and Quake.

I've always loved the Battlefield Series. I would also like throw a shout out to Call of Duty 4.

Currently playing Battlefield V and Diablo III.

Husband bought me a Nintendo Switch Lite last year, all I play on it is Super Mario 64. That game has some great memories for me, when my daughter was younger she played the hell out of it and got her mother addicted too. If I can wrest the xbox from the husband I play EA Sports golf.
I'd really love to own a Switch. Mainly just to play Zelda titles and Mario titles

I'd really love to own a Switch. Mainly just to play Zelda titles and Mario titles
Breath of the Wild is an amazing game. It manages to stay true to a Zelda feel and still adds the open world concept. There are a couple aspects of the gameplay that are a bit annoying, but theres never absolute perfection. And Mario is Mario. Always a good time. My wife isn't a gamer and loves the Mario titles, and the Luigi Mansion games.
The big bummer to me about switch is that while they do get cross over games from xbox and ps, they take YEARS to get there.

My first foray into modern games was Skyrim. Then my kids got me into Mass Effect 2. I've played these two though so many times all of the quests/campaigns have been done to death. If I had to pick a third, I would say New Vegas or Witcher 3. I have both a PS 3&4 with VR, but haven't found anything that comes close to Skyrim. :mug:

oh damn, anyone else ever play StarControl 2 & 3? great humor, i still love the spathi saying "please don't smack me", the Ur-Quan....oh the memories.... :mug:

(they actually made new one, but then last i heard it was under legal problems....)

I really loved Command and Conquer and Starcraft, many many hours played. Haven't seen anything like it on console though and I stopped playing games on the computer. The kids however got me playing MInecraft and I can just play that endlessly I just like building stuff (survival though) and finding diamonds. Lately I have been playing Bards Tale IV and I have really been enjoying it. It's nowhere near fast paced but I like developing the adventurers. I played the original 3 versions on a Commodore Amiga computer but I don't really remember how they looked. Diablo 3 was really good too I played it through a few times with different characters but the story was getting repetitive. I'll play Diablo IV when it comes out! I like games where I came play at the same time with the kids on the same screen. (3 player)

I didn't play anything on consoles for like 20 years then we got a Wii. Not too hard a controller but when we got the XBOX I was like WTF can you put any more buttons on this thing! When I was a kid there was a stick and a red button. Actually we did have a pong game but I don't remember the controller. It was just a bar that went up and down on the screen.

I didn't play anything on consoles for like 20 years then we got a Wii. Not too hard a controller but when we got the XBOX I was like WTF can you put any more buttons on this thing! When I was a kid there was a stick and a red button. Actually we did have a pong game but I don't remember the controller. It was just a bar that went up and down on the screen.
I hate hate hate two joy sticks on a controller. I dunno why, but my mind and hands can't get on the same page. I didn't do a ton of console gaming during xbox reign and more or less have generally preferred handhelds, so when I'd be hanging out with friends watching them play halo, I was always the guy stuck in the corner, staring straight up and turning in endless circles.

Monkey Island

I won't tell you how old I am and no, I'm not playing anything now

I loved the adventures of Guybrush Threepwood. Some of the puzzles were pretty difficult. Some other good ones in the same style were Loom and The Dig.

Long live MI
Monkey Island.jpg

Many hours in Final Fantasy VII in the late 90s then the reboot came out last year but I don't have any of the new gen consoles so I downloaded the original to the Xbox One and I've actually played about 2 hours in the last few months. Just don't have the same spare time these days that I used to

Back