California Newb with a question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beer Baron

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm brand new to this whole home brewing thing, and I'm already finding this forum to be extremely helpful. I've been reading up as much as I can before trying my first batch (which will commence this weekend with the help of a friend) and I'm really thankful for all of the knowledge that's being shared here.

I do have one quick question.

I'm in awe of all of your beautiful home-made kegerators, and have big plans to make one of my own. I'm considering buying this deep freezer that I found on craigslist...

01150801021001031120080424eb85afc3f4e274d0cb00342f.jpg

The dimensions are:

Width 32" (2ft 8")
Deep 24 1/2" (2ft 1/2)
Tall 60" (5 ft)

What I'd eventually like to do is make it capable of holding 6 corny kegs. Does this seem like it would fit? The price is unbelievable, so if it would work I don't want to pass up the opportunity.

Thanks for taking the time to read a post from a newb, and I'll be seeing you around the forums!:mug:

Hello and welcome. One thing with upright freezers to watch out for is that the shelving may include some of the cooling lines. This means that you can't take the shelves out. Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like this may not be the case for the one you are looking at.

Standard corny kegs are about 9" in diameter and 23" tall, but you want some extra room to connect the lines. It seems like the usual recommendation is to be sure you have 28" of total vertical clearance. If the dimensions you gave are interior, it looks like you may just get six cornies in a single layer -- might have to remove some of the stuff attached to the door though.

Jay

Wow, thank you so much Jay! That was really helpful, I had no idea about the shelving issue. If that's not a problem, I think it'll be a go. I can't wait to get it started and I'll be sure to post pictures and whatnot.

Back