Calcium Chloride CaCl2 for water adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giraffeman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm out of Calcium Chloride CaCl2 and was wondering if the Calcium Chloride ice melt the big box stores sell in the winter to melt the ice and snow is the same thing?

I only need 2g for a upcoming brew and can't get to the LHBS before I want to brew ,(this weekend).

A better spot would be in the home canning section. It's labeled as Pickle Crisp, and is a food safe CaCl2 source.

I like that idea. I bet the ice melt is almost 100% CaCL2 but I think for something I drink I might not take that gamble if there are other, not too difficult options.

The ACE type hardware stores tend to still sell canning supplies if you're in a rush and have one not too far away.

Ice melt is the same stuff but not food grade obviously. I don't think they usually sell 100% CaCl2, it's often a blend. You'd be looking for the little bright white spheres in the mix, those are always the telltale CaCl2. I could see myself sorting out little spheres for a small addition if I was THAT desperate and THAT much of a water nerd... of which I am neither... but not too far off from it either.

Ice melt is the same stuff but not food grade obviously. I don't think they usually sell 100% CaCl2, it's often a blend. You'd be looking for the little bright white spheres in the mix, those are always the telltale CaCl2. I could see myself sorting out little spheres for a small addition if I was THAT desperate and THAT much of a water nerd... of which I am neither... but not too far off from it either.
By me they do sell 50lb bags of all Calcium Chloride for ice melt not a mix, (all bright white pellets), and I know I have some left over from last winter.
I was just wondering what the difference was from the Food grade ones.

like tracer bullet said
I think for something I drink I might not take that gamble if there are other, not too difficult options.
If there was nothing else I may have used them as I only need < 2grams for 10 gal of water and figured the Alcohol it self is probably just as bad so what the Hell.
BUT
I do have some of the pickle Crisp that "Agent" pointed out and it is indeed 100% CaCl2. So that is what I will be using.

Back