C02 Purging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louis

Reaction score
I need a bit of fees back. So I split a batch of mead into two carboys because I was adding a fair amount of fruit and really didn't want to lose 1/4 or more of product.

Now I have the problem of way to much shoulder space in my carboys (6 gal and a 3 gal). So I figure I need to purge this space with C02. Problem is, I don't keg or have C02 bottles yet.

One option is to just buy a C02 bottle, get some blow gun parts, and fire away so to speak.

At the moment I have to be frugal. So I'm looking for some less expensive solutions at the moment.

Any ideas?

Maybe I should also mention that will be racking off the fruit in about 7 days. I don't plan on leaving it any longer than that.

I haven't tried this but it is a train of thought I have.

Fill the carboys with something to take up the space? Maybe marbles or glass rocks used to fill planters?

Just my thoughts.

If you wanted to do the vinegar and baking soda I'd put the vinegar in a 1gal bottle, drop in the baking soda and then pop an empty air lock on it with a tube running to the carboy.

I would also second the marbles. I'd rinse them with hot water and then sanitize them before tossing them in.

Yeah, sanitized glass marbles GENTLY put into the carboys will raise the liquid volume. I would recommend maybe something like a pantyhose leg (sanitized) with a couple marbles in it put through the neck, then drop more marbles into the pantyhose, while holding it off the bottom so you don't risk damaging your carboy. If you're using a glass carboy, you'll need to be extra careful not to shatter it by dropping marbles into it.

Glass marbles (kid's toys) are outrageously expensive. I use glass stones sold in crafts stores for flower vase filler. Washed with one step, rinsed, soaked in star san and rinsed with boiled water.

Here's a bag of the stones -

22914729496_416b72d0c6_z.jpg

And in my secondary for a while -

22645252139_dd1d5072e0_z.jpg

Glass marbles (kid's toys) are outrageously expensive. I use glass stones sold in crafts stores for flower vase filler. Washed with one step, rinsed, soaked in star san and rinsed with boiled water.

I am considering something like this. I will have to see what price I can get them for. as I have a fair bit of head space. If I was thinking about it I probably should have bought another smaller carboy - might have been cheaper. oh well, live an learn.

You could get a co2 tank, regulator and hose to just purge the head space, but honestly, I think you're fine for 7 days. Mead is pretty resistant to oxidation and the yeast are going to work on the fruit sugars and produce more co2.

You could get a co2 tank, regulator and hose to just purge the head space, but honestly, I think you're fine for 7 days. Mead is pretty resistant to oxidation and the yeast are going to work on the fruit sugars and produce more co2.

I do think mead is pretty hardy. In this case the yeast won't work on the fruit sugars - I have stabilized the mead to prevent re-fermentation.

I was questioning how much oxidation would occur over the 7 days.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I went with the co2 keg charger. A 16g co2 cartridge will fill about a 6.56L space at 1 atmosphere. I normally don't have this much shoulder so I don't expect to be doing this that often.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back