buying kegging equipment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
Ok,

I'm looking to buy some kegging equipment. I'd like it to be somewhat portable so I can go to parties and what not as well so I think I'm just going to use the picnic faucets. I drive a big ass conversion van so it doesn't have to be super compact or anything. So far this is what I'm looking at. This kit is about the maximum I can spend, are there any better kits out there?

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=524

Do you think this is the best deal out there for me? Honestly I'd like to have at least a 5lb tank but for now I can do with doing multiple trips for the 2.5lb tank. How many kegs do you think I could even get out of the 2.5lb tank?

Also when you guys sanitize your tanks do you just fill it up with some starsan solution, fill it with gas, then run it dry?

That's the same kit I started with only with a 5lb co2 tank.

How many kegs you get will vary a bit based on your carb level, but I'd guess you will get maybe 4 or 5 kegs at a nominal carbonation pressure out of a 2.5 gallon tank.

To sanitize I take the posts off and the lid and the lid o-ring. Drop them in a bowl of starsan. I Pull the dip tube out and run water through it and spray starsan inside of it. Re-assenble the keg, put maybe 1/2 gallon of starsan in the keg and swirl or shake the keg. Then you can run co2 to drive it out, or open the top and pour it out.

You will want to get some keg lube or petrol gel to lubricate your o-rings. This is most important on the lid o-ring as it helps the lid seal properly.

Enjoy

That's the same kit I started with only with a 5lb co2 tank.

How many kegs you get will vary a bit based on your carb level, but I'd guess you will get maybe 4 or 5 kegs at a nominal carbonation pressure out of a 2.5 gallon tank.

To sanitize I take the posts off and the lid and the lid o-ring. Drop them in a bowl of starsan. I Pull the dip tube out and run water through it and spray starsan inside of it. Re-assenble the keg, put maybe 1/2 gallon of starsan in the keg and swirl or shake the keg. Then you can run co2 to drive it out, or open the top and pour it out.

You will want to get some keg lube or petrol gel to lubricate your o-rings. This is most important on the lid o-ring as it helps the lid seal properly.

Enjoy

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice Zen, I just bought equipment to start kegging my beer and had the same concerns. I was lucky enough to get extra CO2 with my setup, but I think that a 2.5lb CO2 tank would wear out quickly if you used it to carbonate as well as dispense the beer. Everything else in the kit looks solid, especially if you're priming the keg instead of force carbonating.

Im also in the market for a two keg picnic setup, I know I want 5lbs. Anything else to look at out there? 250 is my top price

Oh, One thing I did forget to mention. It does not have to be done up front, but eventually most of us find it difficult to balance the system with the 5 ft hoses the starter kit comes with. What this means is you can get a little to fast a pour that can cause some foaming.

I don't know why they don't bump the hose length up a couple feet with that system. How much beer line you need varies a bit based on your set-up and temperature and orientation of the line. In most cases though where you are running at a standard ale carbonation level with say 10-11 psi on your keg, most of us find a sweet spot with somewhere between 8 and 10 feet of line.

You can tweak your line length later once you get the system dialed in. Other than that, you're gonna love kegging.

Cheers

So with the 2.5# tank I'm getting I should be able to at least carb 2 kegs and serve 2 kegs right?

I have one more thing you may want to think about.

Around my neck of the woods you can't get anyone to refill a 2.5lb tank.

5 pound tanks are easy to have swapped or filled.

I have one more thing you may want to think about.

Around my neck of the woods you can't get anyone to refill a 2.5lb tank.

5 pound tanks are easy to have swapped or filled.

Why wouldn't anyone refill a 2.5# tank? I imagine any welding supply shop should be able to do so.

Many Places do not actually fill on site, they exchange and they simply do not carry the 2.5# cylinders for exchange.

The more frustrating part is that the cost for exchanging a 5# 10# or 20# is basically the same here.

You may not have this issue in you area, or you may need to sweet talk your local fire extinguisher shop.

Also note that here some charge nearly as much to hook up your tank to refill as the exchange price.

Something i just realized, if I buy a two keg kit, I will need a dual regulator so I can carb one keg at high pressure while running the other keg at dispensing pressure.

The price just went up for this luxury, now to see if its worth it to have two CO2 tanks or spring for the dual reg.

Too many options.

jeffB,

I have a two way manifold off my main on tank regulator, I run that regulator at typical carb and soda pressure.

I then have a secondary mini sub regulator that kicks the beer kegs down to serving pressure.

the secondary regulators tend to be less expensive.

I just went with this kit myself:
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=324

$227.90 shipped.

Comes with the dual regs, 5 pound tank. Thinking back I probably would have called and seen if they could upgrade my tubing to 2, 10ft serving lines instead of 2 5ft lines as that seems to be the way most use it. I'm getting my tank filled today and I have a Coconut Brown Sugar, English Brown Ale I will be kegging up this weekend... If feels so right to be able to type that. :)

I just went with this kit myself:
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=324

$227.90 shipped.

Comes with the dual regs, 5 pound tank. Thinking back I probably would have called and seen if they could upgrade my tubing to 2, 10ft serving lines instead of 2 5ft lines as that seems to be the way most use it. I'm getting my tank filled today and I have a Coconut Brown Sugar, English Brown Ale I will be kegging up this weekend... If feels so right to be able to type that. :)

Thats the one Im looking at as well. I just dont want the CO2 tank. Im calling my local gas shops for rental prices.

EDIT: Ouch! they want 72.95 for an empty tank and 97.19 full. I think Ill buy my own from the connection. I found 5lb fills for 10 with my own tank.

Back