Burnt wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_Sliver

Reaction score
So I opened a belgium tripel LME that I bought at the homebrew shop and brought it to a boil for 5 mins (as per instructions). I then gave it a nice ice bath for 20 mins to cool it down in the sink.

When I poured it into the fermenter, I noticed black flakes in the liquid. When I was done pouring it all in, I saw the problem: the bottom of the pot had a burnt layer that was flaking off! A lot of it in the fermenter :-(.

I mixed it all in anyway and pitched the yeast, but how badly will the little burnt flakes affect the taste? I wasn't going to put this batch through a secondary but if it means limiting the effects, should I?

I would consider a secondary, just to get the flakes to hopefully settle out - racking from primary to secondary, be sure to leave the trub undisturbed, and the same from secondary to bottling bucket.

Your friends would probably appreciate minimal exposure to "things" in their beer.

Next time, stir THOUROUGHLY so nothing is sitting on the bottom burning, while the rest of the wort boils. (duh! - lesson already learned, I'm sure).

Your going to need to taste it. My experience has been no matter if their are flakes present or not, scorched wort will affect the taste. And not usually in a good way.

That's why I always take the BK off the burner to add LME's. Stir it in until no LME can be stirred off the bottom of the kettle. Straining the wort into the fermenter is also a good idea,though not completely necessary.

That's why I always take the BK off the burner to add LME's. Stir it in until no LME can be stirred off the bottom of the kettle. Straining the wort into the fermenter is also a good idea,though not completely necessary.

Yes, lesson learned there :(.

I would have strained it had I noticed the flakes earlier! Oh well... I'll rack it to secondary and hope for the best! But I don't have high hopes for this batch!

Your going to need to taste it. My experience has been no matter if their are flakes present or not, scorched wort will affect the taste. And not usually in a good way.

I don't think he's talking about scorched wort, it sounds like this was a layer on the pot prior to the brew imo...could be good, might have been bacon or something, mmm.

I don't think he's talking about scorched wort, it sounds like this was a layer on the pot prior to the brew imo...could be good, might have been bacon or something, mmm.

It was a brand new pot I bought specifically for boiling wort so naw... no bacony goodness :)

Back