burner/kettle size question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpakstis

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I guess this is a "beginner" question since I haven't attempted to use an outdoor propane burner yet. I just recently got a 10g Megapot upgrade from my starter 4g kettle and so that pretty much rules out a boil on my electric stove. I am borrowing a burner but noticed that the burner dimensions (around 14") are exactly the same as the Megapot's. Having not done this before, is that going to be an issue? Or should I try to find a wider width burner?

As Redlantern stated, you should be fine. I upgraded from a 7.5 gallon skinny turkey fryer pot to a 10 gallon, short and wide pot. My new pot hangs more than an inch over the burner and I never have issues heating or bringing the wort to a boil.

Thanks for the responses. I really only ask because of the inherent stability concerns and also because I remember my cheap kettle rocking a little bit when coming to a boil, the main reason probably being that its a cheap, flimsy kettle. I'm really looking forward to putting the spurs to this new kettle this weekend.

Unless the cooker is very tall or unstable, the pot should not tip over - center of gravity is low and weight is centered. If it is unstable, shim it or replace it

It's pretty normal for the burner to be smaller than the pot. We use standard banjo burners on giant 48 gal pots on weekend club brews, no problems.

Back