Propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
99% decided on going with a propane burner to upgrade from stove top. Various reasons include already have a 8gal kettle, alternative cooking method in power outage, lower upfront cost than electric system.

My choices gas one GasOne B-5250 100,000 BTU for $70ish

Or

The gas one b-5150 50,000 btu for $54

My initial thought is the more expensive one is a lot sturdier looking for not that much more money but I worry that output would be too much when I do smaller batches.

This one works great 200,000 btu. I have one. On Amazon. Boils water with ease. 25 lbs. sturdy as can be.
FC7D5C4D-C433-484A-91E8-7CFD27B9F405.png

Last edited:
From a safety point when you settle in on a burner/stand make sure there's no issues with welds and such. Place the stand on a good surface. Maybe do a test run with a kettle of water first. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby too. In my brew area I have two plus a carbon monoxide sensor and since the brew area is in the basement a good exhaust fan.

Safety first . . . .

I'm offering an alternative to (propane) gas: how about a 3500W induction plate?
As long as your kettle is induction capable.

Such as this one:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/av...on-range-cooker-208-240v-3500w/177IC3500.html
You do need a 240V 20A outlet. A dryer outlet would work fine, with an adapter or a 2nd socket.
I'd never go back to propane.
Just out of curiosity, how big of batches do you comfortably brew with this, and what is the time to boiling? I have an 1800 Watt Nuwave and it is okay.

Just out of curiosity, how big of batches do you comfortably brew with this, and what is the time to boiling? I have an 1800 Watt Nuwave and it is okay.
Mostly 5 gallon batches, occasionally 10 gallon ones.

Takes about 15-20' to get 5 gallons to strike temp, never really timed it. It's ready by the time I milled the grain and filled the mash tun.
Then I heat while lautering, so it's boiling by the time the last of the 3rd runnings are added.

At half the power (1800W) it would take about twice as long.

I brew with propane. My best investment has been a Blichmann Hellfire. I could kick myself for not buying one sooner.

I bought one somewhat recently and haven't brewed with it. But it's a hell of a burner, pun intended. I've used it to fry turkeys and other things!

It's almost scary how much heat it puts out.

Probably a little out of hit budget, though.

I'm offering an alternative to (propane) gas: how about a 3500W induction plate?
As long as your kettle is induction capable.

Such as this one:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/av...on-range-cooker-208-240v-3500w/177IC3500.html
You do need a 240V 20A outlet. A dryer outlet would work fine, with an adapter or a 2nd socket.
I'd never go back to propane.
Not a terrible idea admittedly but having an additional 240v installed or running extension cords to the bathroom doesn’t seem all that practical

Mostly 5 gallon batches, occasionally 10 gallon ones.

Takes about 15-20' to get 5 gallons to strike temp, never really timed it. It's ready by the time I milled the grain and filled the mash tun.
Then I heat while lautering, so it's boiling by the time the last of the 3rd runnings are added.

At half the power (1800W) it would take about twice as long.
I just switched over to propane. I might run a 240 line into the house. The main reason that I semi went to propane recently is because of the boil-off steam in the basement. It is an unfinished basement. I have relocated my beer brewing to the garage, so all is good. 5 gallon batches is all that I really do…I end up with too much and giving it away. Thank you for the info! Happy brewing!

Not a terrible idea admittedly but having an additional 240v installed or running extension cords to the bathroom doesn’t seem all that practical
No, that would defy logic.
I brew mostly in the kitchen, and that IC3500 plate gets used for quite a few other general cooking purposes or making starters, aside for brewing beer.

I use the dryer socket in the lower level utility room when I want to use the IC3500 (or do some distilling), outside, on the patio.

I recently upgraded to a KAB4. I with it I can make a 15 gallon batch in under five hours. I also upgraded to a 80 qt kettle. The KAB4 is rock solid.

My old Bayou Classic high pressure turkey fryer has served me well. I have a 30 psi regulator on it. After hundreds of batches it still works well, but the grates over the flame are seriously deteriorated. My 22 inch wide pot is bigger than I trust on it. I'd hate to see it tip over.

As far as high pressure vs. low pressure burner? For five gallon batches I don't think it makes much difference. I don't mind the sound. I kind of like it. I can hear if it's burning well. I have to look at the flame with the low pressure burner. Sometimes I have to look to see if its even burning. It's near silent when it's not maxed out.

Keep in mind often the BTU ratting is just how much gas it can burn flat out, not how much heat it will put in the kettle. BTU ratings are meaningless.

Last edited:
I recently upgraded to a KAB4. I with it I can make a 15 gallon batch in under five hours. I also upgraded to a 80 qt kettle. The KAB4 is rock solid.

My old Bayou Classic high pressure turkey fryer has served me well. I have a 30 psi regulator on it. After hundreds of batches it still works well, but the grates over the flame are seriously deteriorated. My 22 inch wide pot is bigger than I trust on it. I'd hate to see it tip over.

As far as high pressure vs. low pressure burner? For five gallon batches I don't think it makes much difference. I don't mind the sound. I kind of like it. I can hear if it's burning well. I have to look at the flame with the low pressure burner. Sometimes I have to look to see if its even burning. It's near silent when it's not maxed out.

Keep in mind often the BTU ratting is just how much gas it can burn flat out, not how much heat it will put in the kettle. BTU ratings are meaningless.
Ah, interesting….sounds like one hell of a vicious burner! I am certainly not a BTU expert, but mine hests really fast. It has a 20 psi regulator. I had a friend who had a couple of burners that sounded like jet engines and would cook crawdads with them. Mine is not noisy like that, but is super hot. There is a picture of what I have up a few messages. I guess if a guy was making 20 or more gallons at a time a bigger burner would be needed. one thing I enjoy about brewing and other things is learning how Other people see things and do things. It amazes me how sophisticated some people in brewing and distilling forums get with their equipment and techniques. It would be interesting and fun to drink some of that stuff from the old days, like when the Vikings were around or when they relied on natural yeast from the sir to ferment things like beer and wine. Anyway….

FWIW, since I upgraded to induction, I mostly use my Hellfire burner for my wok. I have never made better fried rice in my life until I started using the wok/propane burner combo. Also works nicely to deep-fry with smaller amounts of oil.

This one works great 200,000 btu. I have one. On Amazon. Boils water with ease. 25 lbs. sturdy as can be.
View attachment 773593

I had the Bayou Classic version of that burner (SQ14). It didn't have the banjo burner in it like the Gas One pictured, but the same style frame which, imo, sucked. I never would set level the way the legs were made, and the paint started chipping after the first use. It's $87, so at that price one couldn't complain I guess.

@easttex I have the G1 burners but agree....I could kick myself for not getting one sooner. I love how quite they are compared to the old Bayou SQ14 I had.

I brew with propane. My best investment has been a Blichmann Hellfire. I could kick myself for not buying one sooner.
THIS- the Hellfire was not available when I invested in my first Blichmann burner with legs but they are very efficient and also very quiet. I’ve often jok d that I could brew at a funeral with my Blichmann and nobody would hear it.
They’re also easily adaptable to your house gas supply by changing the orifice.

I think the Hellfire came out about the time I got my Top Tier. I already had a G1 burner with the extension legs when I ordered the TT. I think the hardware to mount the Hellfire to the Top Tier is different than for the G1, so it was cheaper for me to just add another G1 burner. I don't know why Blichmann couldn't just keep the leg mounting the same for both burners.

I still have my leg extensions.

FWIW, since I upgraded to induction, I mostly use my Hellfire burner for my wok. I have never made better fried rice in my life until I started using the wok/propane burner combo. Also works nicely to deep-fry with smaller amounts of oil.
I love fried rice! How do you make it? (If you are not too busy)

I love fried rice! How do you make it? (If you are not too busy)
I am not an Asian grandmother, so my recipe is not gospel. I used to be a chef and learned a lot from people I worked/studied with.

It's always a little different, but the basics are: long grain white rice of your choice (jasmine, basmati, etc., NOT minute rice), egg, green onion (garnish), soy sauce (in the rice a little, garnish to taste), sriracha (garnish to taste, it can be spicy), mixed vegetables (peas & carrots, optional), protein of your choice (optional), cabbage (optional). We tend to kitchen-sink it, as it becomes a one pot meal for our 7-person household.

The rice gets cooked the day before and let cool. Leave it out overnight, cover it with a towel to keep out the bugs, but it needs to dry out a bit. This is the most critical step.

I cook everything separately, and throw it in a mixing bowl, the rice is cooked last, so you can get a nice crisp on some of it and it will soak up all the flavors and crispy bits from the previous items you cook. Do it to taste, which is probably the most irritating thing you hear from a chef, until you realize what your taste is, then it makes sense. Remember you can always add more salt (soy sauce), but you can't ever take it back. Mix it up after everything is cooked and have at.

We also add garlic, regular onion, whatever works for that day. You only need a little oil in the bottom of the wok for each item that gets sautéed, and have some water on the side just in case something is cooking too fast and might burn. He's a little blue, but I appreciate Uncle Roger's attitude toward fried rice, .

Have fun!

I am not an Asian grandmother, so my recipe is not gospel. I used to be a chef and learned a lot from people I worked/studied with.

It's always a little different, but the basics are: long grain white rice of your choice (jasmine, basmati, etc., NOT minute rice), egg, green onion (garnish), soy sauce (in the rice a little, garnish to taste), sriracha (garnish to taste, it can be spicy), mixed vegetables (peas & carrots, optional), protein of your choice (optional), cabbage (optional). We tend to kitchen-sink it, as it becomes a one pot meal for our 7-person household.

The rice gets cooked the day before and let cool. Leave it out overnight, cover it with a towel to keep out the bugs, but it needs to dry out a bit. This is the most critical step.

I cook everything separately, and throw it in a mixing bowl, the rice is cooked last, so you can get a nice crisp on some of it and it will soak up all the flavors and crispy bits from the previous items you cook. Do it to taste, which is probably the most irritating thing you hear from a chef, until you realize what your taste is, then it makes sense. Remember you can always add more salt (soy sauce), but you can't ever take it back. Mix it up after everything is cooked and have at.

We also add garlic, regular onion, whatever works for that day. You only need a little oil in the bottom of the wok for each item that gets sautéed, and have some water on the side just in case something is cooking too fast and might burn. He's a little blue, but I appreciate Uncle Roger's attitude toward fried rice, .

Have fun!

Why thank you so much! I never knew about the step of cooking the rice the day before and letting it sit out. I wondered why fried rice at a restaurant wasn’t all stuck together. I took pictures of your message here and will keep them. I will make some soon and let you know how it goes,,thanks for taking the time!

Why thank you so much! I never knew about the step of cooking the rice the day before and letting it sit out. I wondered why fried rice at a restaurant wasn’t all stuck together. I took pictures of your message here and will keep them. I will make some soon and let you know how it goes,,thanks for taking the time!
You are welcome!

Back