Bulk pasturizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIRBREW

Reaction score
I am considering making a cider for the wife in the near future. I have been eyeballing the unicorn blood recipe. My question is, since I plan on kegging the batch can I pasturize and back sweeten then directly transfer into my keg? I prefer not to use any chemicals if at all possible. I plan on using a brew kettle with a ball valve to heat up the cider then transfer, and I will have a lid on the entire time I am raising the temp. I'm not planning on going past 170°f to minimize alcohol boil off. Any insight would be appreciated.

have successfully pasteurized in a small keg with the lid open, so I see no reason why you could not do so in the kettle as well.

If you are Kegging it than why do you need to pasteurize it? If you are worried about it fermenting further in the keg then let it ferment out before Kegging and then back sweeten with a non fermentable sugar. Or do you plan on storing the keg at room temperature for an extended period of time or something?

My wife is a social drinker, so this keg may sit in the kegerator for a long time. I know yeast slows down when it gets to 38°(my kegerator temp) but I was erring on the side of caution. Over carbonation isn't my concern, I'm more concerned that it will dry out. If it does dry out she may not drink it...well she'll drink it even slower. So you're saying that pasturizing isn't needed even with extended time in the kegerator? Please forgive my ignorance with cider, all my efforts have been concentrated with beer. What options are there for non fermentable sugars besides lactose or stevia?

My wife is a social drinker, so this keg may sit in the kegerator for a long time. I know yeast slows down when it gets to 38°(my kegerator temp) but I was erring on the side of caution. Over carbonation isn't my concern, I'm more concerned that it will dry out. If it does dry out she may not drink it...well she'll drink it even slower. So you're saying that pasturizing isn't needed even with extended time in the kegerator? Please forgive my ignorance with cider, all my efforts have been concentrated with beer. What options are there for non fermentable sugars besides lactose or stevia?

38 degrees should be low enough to halt yeast activity, especially if you use an ale yeast. If you're using a wine yeast, most do stall at under 50 degrees but it'd be good to check.

Back