Buffalo NY group buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah GW Kent seems to be tightening down on home-brewers getting accounts. Plus they require a loading dock, no res deliveries.

Does anyone know who would be willing to sell us the grain I can't seem to locate anyone

I've still got a bunch of base grain from a Pittsburgh buy I got in on this year, but if this gets up and running could always grab another sack or two.

Better yet, if anyone is up for it, would split a few malts with people? I'm thinking 1/2 sack each of Rye/Munich/Wheat should get me through the winter!

-beermethatbeer

I just sent John an email to see if he is up to it, I would like at least six sacks but may do ten

I need him to ship to me as I am in Albany

I believe GWKent will sell to anyone who buys a pallet of grain and has a loading dock

I have a loading dock but do not need 40 bags

all the best

S_M

Guys my hand was crushed in a machine at work. No grain buy right now! Sorry! I will keep you posted thanks

Guys my hand was crushed in a machine at work. No grain buy right now! Sorry! I will keep you posted thanks

sorry to hear that John about your hand :( no worries about the grain buy

I hope all is well with you and thank you for what you did for me last buy

if I can do anything for please let me know

all the best

Brian

Holy crap John. I hope everything is okay. Give a shout if you need anything.

jumped in here when I saw activity hoping for a group buy close by ( Rochester NY here)..

sorry to hear about your hand! What are you looking for in web design, I have a decent amount of experience. ( software/web design/developer)

Does anyone want to organize the next buy? I can order through my account. We need a business with forklift

i would be willing to help out with the organization side of things. I have no access to a dock/lift though, so someone else would need to provide that aspect of the solution.

Does anyone want to organize the next buy? I can order through my account. We need a business with forklift

I have a loading dock, forklift and I am a business but I am in Albany so I am more then likely too far away

it worked for me to get in the last buy John because you were able to have my trucker pick up at you place

wish I could help

Brian

What is everyone doing for base grain these days? Is NT the cheapest option?

If my brew day is planned I will going to NT or if its on a whim ill go to consumers beverage on sheridan dr they have basic grains 2 row even marris otter plus some speciality grains , yeast and some pellet hops . It's nice because there open till 10 pm and also Sundays . There prices are reasonable and if you need your grains crushed they have a hand cranked barley crusher

Hand cranked??? What if you want 15lbs of grain crushed. The orchard park consumers has a drill on theirs. I'd tell them to step up their game.

That's definitely nice to know there's other options. I always do NT and once in a great while LDW when in a pinch. Keeping this thread saved for when I make the big jump to AG

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

We don't crush it the store employes crush it . The last time I went there I had them crush 30 lbs , the kids face was red and he was sweating like a champ lol

Lol. I use to crush it myself at consumers , before I bought a crusher. That's why I was asking. As long as your not doing the work who cares what they use. Besides the wait I guess.

I know they sell sacks of dme. Never seen sacks of grain though. I remember one employ tell me they can order you certain things if you let them know ahead of time. Prices are fair. 10lbs of 2 row is $13.99. Marris otter was $15.99.

I asked them at one point and they quoted me about $70 a sack.

Ok. We know Consumers are good in a pinch, but can we get a group buy organized.
Who manages the buy. I' almost out and don't want to pay $70.

Brew Happy & Hoppy Home Brew!!

We need a forklift and a loading dock. Otherwise we are kind of SOL.

You can check out Let's Do Wine on Transit Rd. in Depew. Never been there, but their website says they have sacks of Briess/Rahr 2-row for $55, which is probably the cheapest around. If you want wheat or MO, expect to pay in the 70s-80s.

You can check out Let's Do Wine on Transit Rd. in Depew. Never been there, but their website says they have sacks of Briess/Rahr 2-row for $55, which is probably the cheapest around. If you want wheat or MO, expect to pay in the 70s-80s.

I've been there. They are mostly about wine. I went in looking for some pretty basic brewing/kegging stuff and they didn't have it. But, if the grain is that much cheaper I'll give them another chance.

Can we get a "volunteer" to check the status and report back? An inventory of some kind would be nice.
I'd be willing to throw in a couple of for the intel (same as gas money)...
Thanks!

Brew Happy & Hoppy Home Brew!!

Anyone ever try organizing a group buy with one of the LHBS in the area. Would we be able to get a discount if we went in with a pallet-sized order? They make some money, we get the product a little cheaper. Everyone's happy.

That's a decent idea. I'll check with one of the fellas over at CBW to see if they can help out.

Fwiw; I've been in on the past few Pittsburgh group buys. Very we'll organized, easy splits, awesome prices (once you discount travel; but I went to college at PITT, so I go back a few times annually to visit friends and pick up grain).

I've got like 250+ lbs of 2row/Maris otter/ red wheat/Vienna on stock from these buys. Think I'm looking at like $.75/lb avg at this point.

If Buffalo group never gets off the ground, keep in touch and maybe I'll haul some sacks back for people in my sweet minivan.

-beermethatbeer!!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back