Bucket ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akimbo78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
my LHBS stocks the true brew 6.5 gallon buckets. i now have 3 of them, and 6.5 gallon glass carboy. after my pumpkin ale, in what was a brand new bucket it has a yellowish hue. i have washed it twice with c-brite, and have made a point to use it twice as my sanitation bucket with star san. bad bucket? ruined? don't worry about it?

akimbo78 said:
my LHBS stocks the true brew 6.5 gallon buckets. i now have 3 of them, and 6.5 gallon glass carboy. after my pumpkin ale, in what was a brand new bucket it has a yellowish hue. i have washed it twice with c-brite, and have made a point to use it twice as my sanitation bucket with star san. bad bucket? ruined? don't worry about it?

personally i'd use it, but I have no facts to supports that argument.

was it yellowed before you used it as a starsan vessel? because that could be the culprit.

I don't brew pumpkin beers and one of my fermenting buckets has a yellowish hue to it. I think it just some staining. It also have a fermenting wort smell that I can't get out of it either.

I still use it.

If your T-shirt has a stain is it not still a functioning shirt? Just don't wear it if fashion is the concern. If fashion is the focus for your bucket you should be using stainless.

If your T-shirt has a stain is it not still a functioning shirt? Just don't wear it if fashion is the concern. If fashion is the focus for your bucket you should be using stainless.

i didn't know if the plastic was compromised, or if i would impart some unwanted flavors or color. if humor was your focus you should hire a comedian.

Well they are pretty cheap, so it's really up to you. Color is not an indicator of anything useful though that I can think of.

I soak my primary for 24 hours with Oxyclean after each fermentation. Then give it a good Star San rinse prior to storing the bucket. Sanitize again before each use. It still has some wort/beer smells to it and is not as white as when I bought it. No sign of beer infections/scratches = continued use in my brewing!

My buckets all have a light green stain that refuses to come out. I usually use a little brewing cleanser and water, rub it with my hand. What doesn't come out is patina and shows brewing chartacter. I use them.

I have one of those that continually smells of hops, and has a yellow tint. No amount of Oxyclean or Iodophor will make it white again. It's been that way for a while and I never really worried about it.

Plastics can definitely absorb flavors and odors. In my experience it will fade over time, but I've had one batch carry flavors from the prior batch. It might be best to go for something a little darker next (not pale), that might cover any holdover color or taste. If there's not a pumpkin smell to the bucket I suspect you're safe.

Having said that, if you're interested in getting rid of it (as it sounds like you are) I'd be curious to see if some bleach would get the stain out. Be careful to wash thoroughly between different types of cleaners, and don't scrub with anything abrasive. Scratches in the plastic will be much worse than the off color.

If you have cleaned it well and it is still colored then it is permanent and there is nothing you can do to fix it. You can use it just like you would a non-stained bucket (assuming it is cleaned properly and has no scratches/bacteria etc). It pretty much has been changed on a molecular level. Plastic absorbs things and Plastic also emits things. This is one of the several reasons I use glass carboys. I don't trust plastic (for several reasons which I will not get into that concerns health issues).

OP - if you question is one of 'can I make non infected beers with this bucket' the answer is yes. It is staining of the plastic, not a bacterial evidence.

Some people don't like the staining (See sticky this v that). Sometimes they pick up an oder.. I've got one that smells like wine, one that smells like mead and a 3rd smells like beer. I figure it doesn't mater, but others do.

So it is up to you to use or not use them, they can be used to make beers even if stained. Standard sanitation applies.

It's not a brew pail until it's seasoned. I never completely get the smell or color out. I keep 7 buckets on a rotation and the smell at least is almost faded by the time I cycle through them.

I have used the same bucket with the same stain issues. After the first time I used it, it has smelled like beer. I have never noticed any issues with using it that way though. Several brews later i had to get rid of it due to scratching.

Just my $.02

Back