Bru'n Water which water profile looks better for robust porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
Calcium - 61
Magnesium - 16
Sodium - 38
Sulfate - 70
Chloride - 55
BiCarb - 198
PH 5.44

or

Calcium - 70
Magnesium - 9
Sodium - 15
Sulfate - 40
Chloride - 37
BiCarb - 198
PH 5.43

The first one is modeled after the Brown Balanced profile in Bru'n water, whereas the second is modeled after the London profile in Bru'n water. The Sodium and Magnesium had to get elevated in the first one quite a bit to get my PH where I wanted it in that profile, so not sure if this will adversely impact the flavor, but I was leaning toward using the first one if it looks ok.

I am a firm believer in the 'less is more' theory regarding water additions. That was one principal of the creation of those color-based water profiles. So the less mineralized would help keep the water from overbearing the beer flavor. Use the Brown profile.

Please understand that the bicarbonate value is a 'first guess' for the amount of alkalinity needed in the beer. Don't be surprised if the bicarbonate content has to be varied from that starting point in order to produce the mash pH you want. The mash pH value is more important than the bicarbonate content value.

I am a firm believer in the 'less is more' theory regarding water additions. That was one principal of the creation of those color-based water profiles. So the less mineralized would help keep the water from overbearing the beer flavor. Use the Brown profile.

Please understand that the bicarbonate value is a 'first guess' for the amount of alkalinity needed in the beer. Don't be surprised if the bicarbonate content has to be varied from that starting point in order to produce the mash pH you want. The mash pH value is more important than the bicarbonate content value.

You just answered the question I was looking for. Your water profiles seem to use less minerals than beersmith seems to think is reccomended for a certain SRM or even a sulfate/chloride ratio considered to bring off malt or bitterness. I DO NOT consider this a problem. Your "less is more theory" seems to be working for millions of home brewers so Im going with your theory. Thanks for creating this terrific software sir.

Back