Brewtastrophe! Story Time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirbster

Reaction score
Today was my first day of brewing.

I have always been interested in the hobby and decided I should start since I have friends who brew. I decided to brew a Northern Brewer's Irish Ale Extract. I went over to my friends house last Saturday to observe the process before I began mine. I felt fairly confident in the process and ran through the steps multiple times in my head before brewing today (including last night while I was trying to sleep). I spent four hours today preparing my kit and kitchen for the brewing process. I even wrapped my friends 5.5 gal. SS kettle in two layers of reflective insulation to ensure a nice rolling boil off of my crummy apt. electric stove (which worked beautifully!).

My process was effortless once it began, I added the hops exactly when I was suppose to, steeped my grains at the right temperature for the right time and did not burn my malt extract when adding.

It was during the cool down that my brewtastrophe occurred. It was at the exact moment that my cast iron cleaning brush fell into my 100 degree wort sitting below it in my sink. The hook came out of the ceiling plunging this brush into my precious wort. I use this brush to clean only with hot water and no detergent, however after I clean the cast iron pans I do clean it in dishwater most of the time. So the damage has been done, a cleaning brush fell into my wort for a second but that is all it takes.

So I am awfully worried that I have just jeopardized my first batch by infecting it. I also in my frustration did not sanitize the opening to my Wyeast pouch before pitching on accident. I thought about dumping right away before pitching the yeast but decided to go ahead with it.

I hope this batch turns out, I am not dishearten and will accept the fact it might not. I hope my second run goes smoother than my first.

We've all been there in one form or another. Who knows, you may look back on this in the future and say "that's the best beer I ever brewed."

My bet is that it'll turn out just fine. Cheers! :tank:

When you look back on your experence and laugh at how worried you were, when you are sitting there drinking that great beer you made, you can go back and add your story here...and be among the many who despite making a boneheaded move- Had their beer turn out fine. :D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

In other words more than likely you will be fine,

:mug:

Go read and see.

Relax. Your beer will surely be fine. Yeast have been making good beer for a VERY long time, and a cast iron cleaning brush isn't the worst thing they've overcome.

You had to pitch. (Or you could have brought it up to 171 for a minute to kill any potential bugs and then recooled.) Throwing out a batch is never an option. NEVER!

Even when it sucks.

Would you throw out a baby if it was born with a third nipple. Never! You would just hide it away and keep it all to yourself.

Besides, I'm sure the batch will turn out fine. Don't sweat it. But get another batch fermenting now. You need to do this. Maybe a third too.

+1 for dontman. Ideal course would have been to heat to 170+ for a minute or two, then cool it back down. Even without doing that, you're probably just fine. If it tastes sour and awful, at least you have something to blame other than yourself, but it's probably fine.

As far as sanitizing the outside of the yeast pack, I've forgotten to do that as often as I've remembered. I always do it if I remember, because it's easy to do, but I've never had a batch go bad because I forgot to. Sometimes sanitization is a little like wearing a seatbelt...

Yeah that stuff happens, on my first brew it all went great until the rubber grommet on my lid fell in when i was shoving in my airlock for the first time. It's not like I had a spare one either...

Ahh, the memories!

Not to worry! And welcome!

I give your beer a 95% chance of being just fine. :mug:

After the guy who sneezed into his wort...

and the guy who's wife spit in the wort when she was trying to siphon...

and the HUNDREDS of us who have plunged our unsanitized hands in the wort to catch a falling stopper/thermometer/spoon/etc without thinking...

you're gonna be juuuuuuust fiiiiiine.

Thank you everyone who have replied!

A little reassurance never hurt a new time brewer. I know now what to do next time and what NOT to do. The ale is sleeping soundly in its primary resting place, hopefully it will wake up with intensity and deliver me some delicious results.

Since you were in the cooling process, you could have just heated the wort back up to about 170 to kill any potential issues.

Like others have posted, some of my best brews were ones where things like this happened. I'm sure it will turn out good.

I did not know that reheating the wort could have been an option. Just goes to show how much I have to learn still. Thank you for that bit of knowledge.

Back