Brewing with Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
Going to embark on a brew using rye for the first time. And words of wisdom or good recipes for this kind of style? I know rye can get pretty gummy in the mash, similar to oats (which I have brewed with). I am at the moment working on a partial mash recipe, trying to get a pretty decent rye taste in a darker IPA like style. Any good recipes or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm about to do a roggenbier this saturday. I've got my rice hulls ready, and am expecting the mother of all stuck sparges, seeing as my grain bill includes around 60% rye.

My recipe suggests a double decoction on the mash, so I'm going to be really going out on a limb with this first one. We'll see how it turns out.

Are you using flaked rye or malted rye?

Try putting at least 50% of your base malt in your MT, before adding the rye and balance of the grains, that will help in getting a good grain bed settlement. Also, I run off at about 50% which makes it slow going, but I haven't had a stuck mash w wheat or rye since I've started doing it this way.

Good Luck!

Okay here are my thoughts after I brewed my RoggenBock a couple weeks back (50% rye)

1)Rice hulls are essential. Use more than you would like you will need.

2)Sparge Slower. I had my ball valve at about 50% open and my mash stuck. Next time I am going to reduce it down to about 25% open.

3)Mash in thinner than you normally would. 1.5-1.75 qts/lb.

Rice hulls
Mash thin
Do a beta-glucanase/protein rest (important)
Do a mash out (for flavour and lautering)

Rye beers are soooo good!

We did a Terrapin Rye Pale Ale clone recently and it turned out great. It's a pale ale bordering on an IPA and the use of Amarillo hops makes it very tasty. It's only about 10% rye and we had no problems sparging. The recipe came from the "Can You Brew It" podcast at thebrewingnetwork.com. The recipe is towards the end of the show. If you're interested I can post a Beersmith file later this evening.

I did a roggenrauch with 50% rye and 50% smoked malt. I didnt add anything else, and it came out great. Mash kinda slow i guess. Maybe i got lucky but just a normal brew, didnt have to worry about a stuck mash. 2 tier with a pump and no worries.

I didn't get your request for the Beersmith file until I got back to work this morning so I listened to the podcast again and got the recipe. Here you go. BTW, I used Wyeast 1968 because I had it available. I dry hopped for about a week instead of the 3 days they call for in the recipe. The beer turned out great.

OG:1.054
FG:1.014
SRM: 6.8
IBU: 40.3
70% efficiency, 6 gallons into fermentor

9.39# 2-Row
1.32# Munich
1.32# Rye Malt
.66# Victory
.5# Honey Malt

Mash @ 154/60 min
90 minute boil

.5oz Magnum (14%) @60 min
.5oz Fuggles (5%) @30
.5oz Kent Goldings (4.75%) @20
.5oz Kent Goldings (4.75%) @10
.6oz Cascade (5.75%) @1
1.23 Amarillo (10%) Dry Hopped

Yeast: Wyeast 1272 American Ale 2

Fermentation @ 66 degrees. Dry hop at 66 degrees for one day then two days at 60 degrees and then crash cool.

I'm drinking on a couple of back-to-back rye PA's that have the grain profile of a Founders Rye PA. Don't have beersmith, but this is generally what I followed.

9 - 2-row
2 - rye
.5 C20
.25 C80
.5 Carapils (I think)

I used the hops that were available.
1 oz Nugget (60)
1 oz Cascade (20)
1 oz Cascade (10)
1 oz Cascade (5)
did not dry hop unfortunately

OG was in the 65-68 range and FG was around 14. The first batch I mess up and did not add 1 lb of rye until near sparging time, so the FG was around 20. It actually turned out to be a nice winter beer. The second is one of the best I've brewed so far.

Back