Brewing w/o 5gallon pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AquaPuppy377

Reaction score
All I have is a 2gallon pot in my kitchen, and the instructions I have say that i should top off a pot with 5.5gallons of water after stirring in the malt. What can I do if I do not have that large of a pot?:confused:

Thanks

post the complete recipe for better help
i assume you are doing a partial boil extract batch.
if so - boil the volume in the recipe in your 2 gal pot.
add about 3 gals cold water(boiled and cooled, or from a new jug of spring water)to your fermenter.
add your cooled boiled wort.
top up to 5 gals with more spring water.

those instructions do suck.
they tell you to have a 16 quart(4 gallon pot) but to top up to 5 gallons.
most instructions have you boil 3-4 gallons of water with your liquid malt and hops and top off to 5 or 5.5 gallons in the fermenter.
i am assuming that is what they meant.
now the volume of water you boil affects the hop utilization(bittering).
we need to wait for someone with pro-mash or other brewing software to reply to you to figure out how to do this best with your small 2 gallon pot.
sorry - i don't have the answer.

what times is you promash recipe guide telling you to add the hops?

**EDIT**
either way if you're using a 2 galon pot your kinda going to have a ruff go at it . . .
if it was me I would steep the grains at 150ish for like 30 minutes in about 1 gallon of water, use that same water to rinse them . . .

add the LME and then "top off" you pot to about 3/4ths full and boil adding the hops at the times specified . . . you going to end up low on the bitterness scale because your boil is going to be thich but with a 2 gallon pot I think you're kinda hosed . . . if ya can afford it go buy a turkey fryer (even if it's just for the kettle at this point) it's a $30 investment that you wont regret . . . cool your wort complete DO NOT PUT IT INTO A GLASS FERMENTOR HOT and top off to the 5 galln mark with water . . . when the temps right add your yeast

oh yeah watch your pot carefully for boil overs, it it looks like it might boil over lift it off the burner until it calms down, also your going to want to stir that thing alot because your boil is so thick your risk of scoarching is going to be higher then normal

How much chinook did they give you? And what do you have for a fermenter? You might be able to do a late addition in a 2 gallon pot and still hit your bittering.

I have a 5 gallon fermentor from coopers.com.au
and .5 oz of chinook...
Im starting now, we'll see what happens...i'll definately stir a lot though

Latest posts

Back