Brewing hazy IPA: dry hopping time, low o2 brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
I brewed 4 gallon hazy IPA. I used fermentation co2 to purge the keg. Then did a closed transfer to the keg when I was 3 gravity points from FG (tilt hydrometer) about 3 days after fermentation started.

I had a hop cage at bottom of keg for the first set of dry hops. I had a second set of dry hops suspended from top of keg using a magnet inside hop bag and magnet outside of keg. I removed outside keg magnet on day 7.

At about the 2 week post fermentation i put it on my kegerator to chill. It tastes awesome now!

The problem is I’ve had these ipa’s not taste as good after about a month due to oxidation type of favors. Any harm in just leaving the dry hops in for a couple months??

TLDR:
Can I just leave the hops in the keg until I finish it? I plan on keeping the keg mostly full until after new years (it’s for Xmas and nye parties). Should I open keg and remove (with bare arms and tongs) and then purge with co2??

I have left the dry hops in the keg for my past two batches... Never got any vegetal or grassy flavours and both beers tasted great until the kegs kicked. One of them I fermented and served in the same keg and that had no off-flavours from the yeast either.

I guess other people have had issues with doing it, but in my (very limited) experience it's one of those things that has become received wisdom. Best thing to do is try it yourself and see, I did and it was great!

I have left the dry hops in the keg for my past two batches... Never got any vegetal or grassy flavours and both beers tasted great until the kegs kicked.
This works if you're keeping them chilled at serving temperature, but dry hop them and leave it 10°C or above and I've found I will get hop creep and all the nastiness that accompanies it.

If it's chilled and cold conditioning before serving, you'll be fine though- I've recently started habitually hopping some of my British style beers (British IPA, one ESB and will next try with a British Strong) and it does add some great flavours.

I have left the dry hops in the keg for my past two batches... Never got any vegetal or grassy flavours and both beers tasted great until the kegs kicked. One of them I fermented and served in the same keg and that had no off-flavours from the yeast either.

I guess other people have had issues with doing it, but in my (very limited) experience it's one of those things that has become received wisdom. Best thing to do is try it yourself and see, I did and it was great!
Cool. I’m just going to let the hops ride then rather than try to fish them out.

As others have said you’ll probably be fine leaving the hops in for a few weeks but if you do start to develop off flavors, you might consider pushing the beer to a new purged keg to get it off the hops before thinking about opening the lid and reaching in to pull them out.

Latest posts

Back