Brewing happiness is...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sharing with people and having them ask if you distribute.

I like all the replies!

In addition having people skeptical at first (as they are BMC drinkers) have my homebrew. Then remark, "Damn, this is good!. Have you thought about selling it?".

knowing that there are people that would sell their soul, for something you make for yourself...and do, to corporate megabrew..and you sit in a homebrew forum talking trash about their master, and get away with it!

and better yet, we haven't had to start doing drive by's on each other yet!

Happiness is brewing! And not living in any of the places listed on this chart! https://brewie.org/why-craft-beer-costs-so-much/
I can get craft brew here for prices ranging from .83 cents a bottle all the way up to a couple of bucks but I guess the average price would range $1.30 -$1.50 a bottle. And the poor people of Delhi..... $29 a year on beer such a sad life. Things like this make "happiness is living in the Midwest where the cost of living is so low"

Edit: misspelled "this" oops!

Last edited:
I can fit three kegs in my keezer but only have taps for two. I thought 2 out of 3 were empty. Went to pull the keg that wasn't tapped out to find it is actually full. I have a magic keezer!!! Having a pint of my miracle beer now

Some folks make an annual celebration for having not run out of oil. We should begin our own annual holiday celebration to mark the "magic keg".

Some folks make an annual celebration for having not run out of oil. We should begin our own annual holiday celebration to mark the "magic keg".
I put an empty one back in there to see if it happens again. I like the annual holiday idea. Needs a catchy name though and a mythical character that makes it all possible.

I had the same magic keg occurrence. Knew there wasn't much left in the keg. Wanted to drain it so I could clean it and refill it. I kept drinking and drinking on that "almost empty" keg for weeks. Kept looking for Rod Serling as the keg was very light, but it was still pouring.

Needs a date also.... what day did you find your full keg? I found mine last Sunday January 27th, my kids came over for our usual Sunday dinner and I was getting beer for everyone. I was going to take out what I thought was an empty keg thinking I would make room to cold crash another brew I have going..... as if by magic the keg was filled by what may have been the Egyptian gods of beer Tenenit (Tenenet) and Menquet.

I had the same magic keg occurrence. Knew there wasn't much left in the keg. Wanted to drain it so I could clean it and refill it. I kept drinking and drinking on that "almost empty" keg for weeks. Kept looking for Rod Serling as the keg was very light, but it was still pouring.
That happens to me too! LOL, I’ve had two in a row I thought we’re ready to kick and it didn’t happen soon enough.

There are no holidays for beer gods or goddesses until the 1st of February which are
Imbolc, Feast of Brigid - The Dagda, Celtic God of the Earth & All-Father Irish and Celtic God of Life and Death, War, Banquets and Magic.
February 1: Lenaia - Festival of Drama to Dionysus, Greek God of Intoxication
February 1: (1st Saturday of each month): Satyr’s Day - Silenus, Greek God of Beer Buddies and Drinking Companions

mine was found on Jan 5th. I have been babying it because My fancy labeling system (Masking tape and sharpie) indicated it was the same beer I was brewing that day. I am looking forward to a side by side. I normally don't get to do that since I keg most batches out of laziness. As for the day of the holiday I vote for a "first weekend of the month type thing" lot easier to work around. Brew a beer that day and if your beer is worthy the beer gods will gift you your own magic keg.

stirring the mash with my mash paddle. I love the smell and it reminds me of how long people have been mashing in and stirring it up. Breaking the dough balls up to pulling first runnings. I love all of it.
I mill by hand as well and the smell while milling is a close 2nd to the mash-in smell.

The smell of freshly fermenting beer always takes me back to when I first started brewing. Everything was so exciting! Haha.

Lots of things about this hobby make me happy. A list of my top:

-Waking up the morning after brew day and seeing a layer of kraeusen floating in my beer. I always take a photo.
-Sniffing the airlock for yummy beer smells.
-Watching the tornado in my starter flask and monkeying with the speed of the stir plate.
-Coming home from work and watching my wife skillfully pour one of my beers for me.
-Taking glamour shots of my beer in a frosty glass with a pillowy head on it.
-Making up recipes and having them turn out tasty.
-The remarkably clean flavors of pale malt and noble hops coming through in a pilsner that has just finished lagering.

Happiness is the aromas of a brew day, even though the spouse says is smells like I’m cooking dirty socks. Believe me his dirty socks don’t smell that good.

My husband doesn't participate/help in the brewday, but for each one he finds an excuse to come out to the garage/brewery and take a deep sniff of whatever I've got boiling. He loves the smell and so do I. Every time we visit a new brewery/taproom on our list, and they've been brewing that day, we always manage to stay a bit longer just for the smell. Favorite smell is right after hops have been added. Sigh.

Getting great deal on four used kegs so you can keep the pipeline going and Brew multiple styles to try!! Also, seeing your hop plants go crazy! Comment is on the left and triple Pearl is on the right [emoji16]
IMG_20190214_161510398.jpeg
IMG_20190214_171919367_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20190214_171923378_HDR.jpeg

When, even on a not-brewing weekend, I find things to do in the brewery. Sitting here right now doing a boiloff test with the new sight glass, drinking on some truly delicious homebrew (have THREE in the kegerator right now!), and working on recipes for future brews.

Years ago, before I started this hobby, I owned a horse. Even on rainy days when we couldn't go out for a ride, I found excuses to hang about the barn taking care of things and just sitting with music going, enjoying that horse smell, and communing with my boy. I miss that but brewing is pretty close.

Years ago, before I started this hobby, I owned a horse. Even on rainy days when we couldn't go out for a ride, I found excuses to hang about the barn taking care of things and just sitting with music going, enjoying that horse smell, and communing with my boy. I miss that but brewing is pretty close.

It's hard to explain a hobby to someone who only watches TV.

I go tuna fishing with a couple guys I don't really know all that well. The guy with the boat lives two doors away. Fuel and live bait comes to around $250 EACH for a long day out.

You get beat up from pounding over swells.
Fall down at least twice on the no-skid deck.
Captain gets to go take a shower while the "guests" scrub the boat.
(He pays for the boat, maintenance, insurance, etc., it's fair.)

Sometimes you don't even catch.

Two or three times a season.

It's hard to explain a hobby. :(

Brewing happiness is getting started on your first brewday since April! Also, using 3 ingredients you've never used before (Nelson Sauvin hops, hibiscus flowers and wlp565).

Back