Brewing happiness is...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy2bmerry

My hop trellis brings the boys to the yard.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Happiness is... Enjoying the nectar of our labor, or to put it another way feeling satisfied that I’ve brewed a good very drinkable beer. That is something I think we generally have in common, but what are the day to day events that cause you to feel happy?
For me this morning it was seeing my starter of year old yeast saved from a batch thriving.
08E0B5F3-5AE7-4D44-9160-D53B05E65D64.jpeg

Many to mention... but here's a couple of little but really satisfying ones (and maybe a bit strange too!)
- Sniffing the airlock
- The hiss from the first bottle of a new batch and knowing you primed it right
- Sniffing a freshly opened packet of hops
- The first bubbles of a new fermentation

But yeah, mainly, when someone else tries your beer for the first time and you see their face go from "this is going to be sh*t" to "wow, that's actually pretty good!"

Sharing with people and having them ask if you distribute.

This has happened at every Homebrew club event I have been to. (not a direct question about my beers) Where is the brewery located? Where is the beer made? Then someone answers in my backyard, and more questions are asked.

For me it’s the planning and the calculations. It’s taking the numbers and turning that into a finished product that hit all the right milestones for gravity, volume, pH, etc.

I could take or leave the actual brewing part as it’s merely a means to an end but the planning is what I love.

Sitting at work doing what I do, and dreaming of getting home and pulling a pint of deliciousness that I brewed myself. And brewdays. And planning recipes. And just today, tasting the grain I roasted last weekend and imagining what it will turn in to once I get to brew it next weekend. And....just sitting here in my garage/brewery, looking around at my currently idle equipment, thinking what I will be doing with them on next brewday. Yeah, I'm obsessed, but I don't care.

For me it’s the planning and the calculations. It’s taking the numbers and turning that into a finished product that hit all the right milestones for gravity, volume, pH, etc.

I could take or leave the actual brewing part as it’s merely a means to an end but the planning is what I love.
I still occasionally develop recipes long hand. No spreadsheets. No apps. No software. Just pencil, paper, and calculator. I feel much more connected to the beer I'm developing.

I love the results. I love to drink.

However, the planning, the prep, the brewing, are all more satisfying.

I enjoy being in the brewery, doing menial things, just to be a part of eventual greatness.

To me, brewing is a lot like driving, i.e. the thing I have to suffer through to get from point A to point B.

I still occasionally develop recipes long hand. No spreadsheets. No apps. No software. Just pencil, paper, and calculator. I feel much more connected to the beer I'm developing.
^Yes! I love getting a crazy idea then translating that into a recipe.

I also like it when I brew a clone recipe and having people do a side by side test. Then the look on their face when they realize they can’t tell the difference between the homebrew and the commercial beer.

Having someone try my beer and saying it's good but then proving it by going back for more.

How about when you're not happy with how a beer you've brewed many times before comes out crappy and you tell everyone it's not good and what went wrong during the brew day that caused it and yet they still suck it all down like you're crazy and it's still awesome?

Kinda weird feeling. On one hand I want the acknowledgement and on the other to see them all drinking it happily with impunity kinda also gives me a warm feeling inside. We are indeed our own worst critics....

Rev.

^Yes! I love getting a crazy idea then translating that into a recipe.

I also like it when I brew a clone recipe and having people do a side by side test. Then the look on their face when they realize they can’t tell the difference between the homebrew and the commercial beer.

I'll go one better on this. I've been trying for a couple of years to do a perfect clone of Arrogant Bastard (in the top 5 of beers we really like) and I've pretty much said the hell with it....the beer I make out of the same recipe tastes better to me than the original, which I've done several side-by-side tests with. Quite possibly because mine is fresher, has not sat on a shelf for months, and just generally tastes better to me. Current iteration of that recipe is in my glass right now; perfectly clear, color is dead spot on, but mine is a bit maltier and satisfies my palate.

In the end, for the most part we brew for ourselves; I don't know any homebrewer who will intentionally (unless for someone else) brew something they won't want to drink themselves. Yes, some of us like sours (I have no clue why, I hate them) and goses (just eeeew to me) but to each his/her own. And that is the beauty of this obsession we all have.

While the whole process of turning water, grain, hops and yeast into the necter of the gods is truly one of the coolest things I have ever done, and I have done some really cool things, nothing compares to hearing my 4 year old grandson giggle.

I thank god every day for that blessing.

For me, the best moment is pulling my first pint from a keg. The apprehension that maybe this one suddenly didn't turn out, is it what I hoped (hopped? lol) it would be....
Yes, its great!
True, I always taste along the way, but until it is carbonated it isn’t really done.

Sitting at work doing what I do, and dreaming of getting home and pulling a pint of deliciousness that I brewed myself. And brewdays. And planning recipes. And just today, tasting the grain I roasted last weekend and imagining what it will turn in to once I get to brew it next weekend. And....just sitting here in my garage/brewery, looking around at my currently idle equipment, thinking what I will be doing with them on next brewday. Yeah, I'm obsessed, but I don't care.

i bust ass at work so i can plan for my next brew session or read about beer.

but i will add to this thread... i love green beer the from the first day i can drink out of the keg to about week two. i also love to smell the air lock... i just finished a steam beer that i open fermented and the smell was simply amazing.

Last edited:
Happiness is being told the keg of beer is gone and going to get the "empty" keg out of the fridge to clean it while brewing and finding a couple of beers still in it when you thought you had nothing to quench your thirst.
I can fit three kegs in my keezer but only have taps for two. I thought 2 out of 3 were empty. Went to pull the keg that wasn't tapped out to find it is actually full. I have a magic keezer!!! Having a pint of my miracle beer now

I can fit three kegs in my keezer but only have taps for two. I thought 2 out of 3 were empty. Went to pull the keg that wasn't tapped out to find it is actually full. I have a magic keezer!!! Having a pint of my miracle beer now

Wow, I'm not the only one that can't remember $#!+! Exact same thing happened to me this weekend. I thought I had 2 more brews to do to fill up my kegs and I found one completely full that I thought was empty. Guess it has been aging in the fridge for a couple of weeks and I have been getting beer out of there thinking there was nothing in it. I have 3 picnic taps but room for 5 kegs in the fridge. I have never gotten it full of beer.... maybe, someday.

Back