Brewing Confidence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjconway

Reaction score
I took a 2.5 year leave of absence from brewing (had a son and twin daughters in 19 months). My first beer this time around was an IPA from the LHBS and I must say I'm not satisfied with it (bubble gum flavor), but I'm sure that is of my own doing . Anyway, about 2 weeks after brewing that, I got the Pliny clone kit from Austin HBS and brewed that (my first purchase from an online vendor). I was getting bummed about my IPA when I tried my first of the Pliny (early, only 11 days in the bottle). That was promising, although not carbonated much. So about a week later, I am sitting here as I type this looking at my near perfect, almost empty glass of Pliny.

I think I'm rambling right now, but feel like I can conquer the brewing world right now (although I realize that's a silly statement). It feels damn good after a week of having sub-par beer to have something so good. My lessons from this:

1. You'll mess up sometimes, but each batch you'll learn something.
2. Although supporting the local guy is nice, don't be afraid to support the online places. (They are local guy's too - just in a different place.)
3. 17oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch is damn fine

Okay, I'm done rambling now.

Congrats and welcome back.

The bubblegum almost definitely came from the yeast. Keep your yeast profiles and your fermentation temps in check and you’ll find a quick solution to that.

Supporting the online guy: you are correct. I almost exclusively support the online scene because here in Wichita KS we have one LHBS…and it SUCKS!!

Hops, umm, umm, umm; just remember (contrary to what a lot may say) are one aspect of 3 other essential ingredients.

Keep fighting the good fight!!

Don't give us this crap about twins and your "absence from homebrewing." The twins should have certainly increased your homebrew production :D Just kidding. I have 3 of my own and understand. Welcome Back!

17 oz of hops? OMG

Trying to replicate a Pliny is like an American Idol contestant singing an Elvis tune: You're not going to come close to the original. You're setting yourself up for failure from the start. In any event, your ramblings are a good endorsement for the Pliny kit.

Back