Brewing Big or Small

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
i started off making 5 gallon batches, using extract and speciality grains. Easy enough. I then got a close friend into the hobby and we decided to start brewing 20 gallon batches and splitting them 10gl each. We did to share the work load.

Im starting to think doing this big batch is actually more work then less even with two people.

-Takes longer to get water boiling
-Longer to cool said water
-All lifting is now much heavier
-Bottling feels like much more work due to more bottles
-Much more clean up needed

Do any of you prefer sticking to 5gl batches even though you could handle more? Would be curious to hear your opinions.

Thx

I started making 5 gallon batches, but now I like making 12L batches just so I can brew more often and have more variety.

thats part of the reason I built my brewing system. Got tired of heaving a big heavy pot full of scalding hot liquid around. accident waiting to happen in my opinion. On my system I can do up to ten gallons and its no more work than doing a 5 gallon

In my system, 10 gallons is only about 20% more work than 5 gallons. I have the same "stuff" whether I do 5 or 10 gallons, so there isn't any more cleaning to do. There is more grain to crush, one more fermenter and airlock to sanitize, and that's it. I use the same pot, some MLT, some chiller, etc, so it's really much less work.

If you're finding that it's more work, then you probably need some upgraded equipment like a bigger burner and a better chiller.

My next brew I want to do indoors, right now my set up is only outdoor and BIG. So i need a good indoor size pot for a 5 gallon batch. What size pots do you guys use for an indoor stove which is electric not gas?

Im also going to use a bucket for my primary, so far ive only used glass Damijohs which are also quite heavy when full and ackward to hold.

I have to say bigger is not always better........I love doing my 5 gallon brews, it allows me to have few different beers at once (I don't have alot of room to work with) also if I brew a beer that I'm not real fond of (hasn't happened yet) I don't have to suffer thru 10 gallons..........and if I really love the brew(which has happened) I just make another batch. I guess for me it's not work, it's a fun time...........few beers hangin out..........friends drop by to see whats up............I JUST ENJOY THE BREW TIME :D

CHEERS:mug:

I too have the equipment to do 10-12 gallon batches on my brewstand, but I prefer 5 gallon batches for variety's sake, and it gives me the excuse to brew more often...and it is definitely my favorite part of my week...

I've done a few 10G batches mostly just to "catch up". I have a 15G keegle and a MLT that can manage it.

After a party or some event where I supply the beer I can go from having 3 or 4 drinkable kegs to 1 or 2 real quick. And I HATE rushing to drink my beer rather than letting it condition as needed - depending on style of course.

But, I agree with what others have said.....5G batches allow me to brew more often and allow me to brew different styles or tweak a current house recipe looking for the perfect batch.

When it feels like work it's not so much fun, and that kinda defeats the purpose, no??

Alan

For many of us brew time is very precious...the "I'll just brew different 5 gallon batches more often" idea is great in theory (and is how I operated when I only had one kid who was still pretty young), but with two now, it's damn near impossible to brew. I'd love to be able to do 10 gal batches, but I'm just not set up for it yet...eventually if I ever build more of a permanent sculpture/setup, I'll definitely have it sized for at least 10 gal batches...

B33risgood - I use an aluminum turkey fryer pan for my brewing. I am still doing all of my brewing inside on an electric stove. It takes a LONG TIME for the water to come to temp for the MLT, but I tend to empty the MLT at a rate that by the time the turkey fryer is full I am within 5 mins of a full boil.

After boil-off and waste from hops and stuff, I usually have between 5.5 to 6 gallons going into the carboy to ferment...

I am enjoying doing 10g batches now, especially now that I have the equipment to make it convenient. The only thing I really need to get is some better burners, as I BLAST through my propane with my turkey fryers, trying to heat up all that water.

It will also be really nice once I get my Vinator and Bottle Tree, to simplify the bottling process(which I can see bottling 20g being a REAL PAIN!!!). I keg as well, but I recently bottled the whole 10g of Pumpkin, because I didn't want to funk up my keg, and it took forever!

In your case, having good burners and a massive chiller would probably help speed up the time consuming process of heating/chilling, which seem to be the most nuance part of the process, other than clean-up.

I can't see it being that much work to clean-up 20g, other than just having bulky vessels.

I have a shut-off valve on the end of my hose, that I hooked a QD to, so I can switch out my filter cartridge or my high-pressure nozzle. Not a HUGE game-changer, but it is a nice convenience factor. Just having the shut-off on the hose is really nice!!

If your brews are consistently pretty good, it seems to be worth the while, to be able to split the batches between you guys, and each have 10g of fresh brew(just imagine doing 4 x 5gallon batches to get the amount that you are getting in one session now...it'd be a LOT more work than the extra time you put into clean-up during 1 20g session)!!

10g is perfect for me, because I can keg one carboy, and bottle the other! 20g would be overkill for 1 person, but between 2 people, seems like a great little arrangement you guys have setup!!

Back