Brewery equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
Been to couple local brewery tours and noticed they have a boil kettle and their second piece of equipment is the mashtun and they also say it's the hot liquor tun. How are they getting away or making the mashtun and hlt into the same piece of equipment. In home brewing I only see a boil kettle, mashtun and a separate hlt. I'm always confused when I see this, but haven't asked in a brewery tour how it works.

I only have a kettle and mash tun. About 15 min before the end of mash I heat water and hold it in a bottling bucket then I vorlauf and lauter. I batch sparge with the water in the bottling bucket.

Been to couple local brewery tours and noticed they have a boil kettle and their second piece of equipment is the mashtun and they also say it's the hot liquor tun. How are they getting away or making the mashtun and hlt into the same piece of equipment. In home brewing I only see a boil kettle, mashtun and a separate hlt. I'm always confused when I see this, but haven't asked in a brewery tour how it works.

I've seen some breweries making a full volume mash by heating the water on the boil kettle and transfering to the mash tun

I've also seen people using inline heaters for the strike water and sparge, so u don't need the HLT

If i remember correctly the top of the vessel is the hlt and the bottom half is the mlt.

There are multiple manufactures who are doing this for small systems...typically 20 Bbls or less. They normally heat their water with an electrical heating element or a steam system...or both. It's impractical for large systems to use a combo tank but for small guys with limited space and money it makes logical sense.

Back