Brewers Best Cocoa Nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwible

I drink, and I know things
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was given some of these for Christmas, I think (know) she wants me to brew a chocolate beer. Never used these before. They say Brewers Best Cocoa Nibs (Theobroma cacao), come in a 4 oz package. Nothing says if these are raw, toasted, etc, not on any of the online retailer web sites either.

Anybody have experience using these? If they are raw, how do you toast them - 250 degrees for 15 min or something like that? They are very small bits so I’m guessing they don’t need to toast long? I gather they are best used in the secondary?

Thanks

They say Brewers Best Cocoa Nibs (Theobroma cacao), come in a 4 oz package. Nothing says if these are raw, toasted, etc, not on any of the online retailer web sites either.

They are raw.

Anybody have experience using these? If they are raw, how do you toast them - 250 degrees for 15 min or something like that?

I've used them several times. I don't normally toast them. If you want toasty flavors, at the expense of more natural cacao flavors, you certainly could. I don't subscribe to the theory that toasting/roasting them makes them more chocolatey. It makes them more charred, IMO.

They are very small bits so I’m guessing they don’t need to toast long?

Depends on your goal, I'd say.

I gather they are best used in the secondary?

I'd say they are best added in some way that minimizes O2 exposure, whatever that happens to be with your equipment/process.

I don't subscribe to the theory that toasting/roasting them makes them more chocolatey. It makes them more charred, IMO.
I live in PA, been to Hershey’s a dozen times and done the tour. They roast the cocoa beans as part of the process of making chocolate, fact.

Back