Cocoa liquor / paste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
I have been looking for ways to infuse my chocolate stout with a more intense chocolate flavour.

I have previously used cocoa powder, which is wasn't particularly impressed with. I have had reasonable success with good quality extract like star Kay white, but this is expensive.

I have used high cocoa soild chocolate in the boil, but found this knocked out any head retention in the final beer.

I have never used nibs but heard mixed reports and it seems it hard to tell what you are actually buy in terms on how processed they have been.

So I found that you could buy cocoa liquor online, this is the nibs that have been fermented, roasted and ground into a paste and is basically the raw material for chocolate before sugar, milk, cocoa butter and potentially oil have been added.

Here are the ones you can get in the UK.

https://www.realfoodsource.com/prod...MItPWOvoWt4AIVpp3tCh1gbQCUEAQYASABEgIZLvD_BwE

They are available in a variety of single origin cocoa too, so you have some flexibility over the exact flavor you want.

I was thinking of soaking them in vodka for an hour or so then adding them to the keg which I could later retrieve by a length of fishing line. I would probably keep them in the beer for a week or so untill I get the desired flavor.

Has anybody else ever used this type of product before? Even if not what are your thoughts?

So thinking more on this subject, I'm am going to take 75g of cocoa liquor and 500ml of brewing liquor and blend them in food processor until it forms an emulsion. I will pasterize the mixture at 62°C for 30 mins before adding this to the fermenter close to the end of fermentation to savage any free oxygen.

Thoughts?

I have been looking for ways to infuse my chocolate stout with a more intense chocolate flavour.

I have previously used cocoa powder, which is wasn't particularly impressed with. I have had reasonable success with good quality extract like star Kay white, but this is expensive.

I have used high cocoa soild chocolate in the boil, but found this knocked out any head retention in the final beer.

I have never used nibs but heard mixed reports and it seems it hard to tell what you are actually buy in terms on how processed they have been.

So I found that you could buy cocoa liquor online, this is the nibs that have been fermented, roasted and ground into a paste and is basically the raw material for chocolate before sugar, milk, cocoa butter and potentially oil have been added.

Here are the ones you can get in the UK.

https://www.realfoodsource.com/prod...MItPWOvoWt4AIVpp3tCh1gbQCUEAQYASABEgIZLvD_BwE

They are available in a variety of single origin cocoa too, so you have some flexibility over the exact flavor you want.

I was thinking of soaking them in vodka for an hour or so then adding them to the keg which I could later retrieve by a length of fishing line. I would probably keep them in the beer for a week or so untill I get the desired flavor.

Has anybody else ever used this type of product before? Even if not what are your thoughts?
cacao powder

I never really found cocoa powder particularly effective at imparting a chocolate flavor. I not sure if the powdering process effects the quality of the flavor. The cocoa liquor arrived end of last week and I have to say it smells very intense compared to powder.

Last edited:
Back