Breweriana BIF Fall/Winter 2014 Info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpawned

Reaction score
Attention glasswhores, it's that time again! I’m a sucker for #properglassware so this round will reflect that. I’ve also been accused of being a bit excessive (most often by my wife) so this BIF will turn things up a notch.

You MUST create a glass wants list of at least 20 glasses. Style preferences or specific breweries help too. This is for both your sake and your sender’s. It is much easier to send you a killer box when given a little direction. Also make sure your gots are also up to date by the end of the registration period.

The Rules (they are different, please read them all):

1.) 6 glass minimum.

- MUST be stemware including mini-snifters unless specifically stated on wants sheet of recipient. Any questions about qualifying glassware must be asked before shipment.
- Must be brewery/brewpub-related, with preference to locals, or target's "wants list."

2.) 3 of the glasses MUST be wants or style wants at the very least!

- Disclaimer: I think this should be very doable but if you have a very short list or your list only includes very rare glasses, I may grant your sender a waiver to knock that down to 2…but I really hope I don’t have to do that. You must message me if you are having problems with this requirement.

3.) 8 glass maximum (No excuse for going over this round).

- Glasses 6-8 (are optional, but it seems at this point that everyone sends 6 so lets make that the standard for this round). The other 2 are OPTIONAL and can be non-brewery, but still beer (or whiskey)-related, e.g. beer bars, beer shops, etc. (or glencairns, rocks glasses, etc). If you don’t want something whiskey related, just make a note on the spreadsheet that you aren’t into that.

- Non-stems are allowable, if necessary, for glasses 7-8, but not encouraged unless you have a very strong reason to believe your target will love it. (*Many people do not collect shakers, unless you know they do, please avoid going this route)

4.) Beer: Minimum of 44oz of proper beer that matches the glasses you've sent AND any glasses that are not wants (such as awesome locals that you want to share) must be accompanied by a beer so as to allow your target to break them in properly. I will not set a maximum on proper beer, but sending more beer than glass is probably against the spirit of this GIF.

- If you have glasses that you've never been able to break in properly (and care to do so)...make a note next to said glass in your gots list, your sender is allowed to include a beer from that brewery as well. As far as I'm concerned, there is really no need for sending beer in this BIF that doesn’t have an accompanying glass so I’ll set a max of 1, hopefully your target can find a way to proper it anyway.

5.) One piece of swag: swag is defined as brewery/beer-related apparel (shirt, hat, etc.), signs/tackers, tap handles, etc. This is generally an item in the $10-30 range (could be more, shouldn't be less).

- If target does not specify t-shirt size on the sign-up sheet, that means he/she prefers something other than a shirt (i.e. don't guess on shirt sizes). I also recommend stating preferred types of swag on the registration spreadsheet if you’d like to dictate that.

6.) Other non-glass/beer extras are at sender's discretion (no minimum or maximum): coasters, bottle openers, koozies, stickers, misc.

Maximum of 40 participants.
Targets will be sent out by, Sunday, November 1st.
Veterans from previous rounds will be given priority if more than 40 people wish to join.

Wants and gots list is mandatory. This BIF doesn’t even know what BA is, so links to this unknown acronym are not acceptable.

Shipping deadline is Monday, December 15th, which should give everyone ample time to acquire enough ammo to demolish their target with an early holiday present. Keep in mind if you are sending to a cold weather city, get your box out early enough to avoid shipping delays. If you have concerns, please let me know ASAP.

Please note if you are returning from the last round NOTE THIS ON THE SPREADSHEET, anyone from previous rounds who makes NO note ON THE SPREADSHEET by Oct. 19th will be excluded, I don't really feel like parsing through this thread for participants. #losientonosiento.

Signups are here!

Please, any questions at all, don’t hesitate to ask, or suggestions to make this better, let's hear those too. This is my favorite BIF, so I want everyone to receive an amazing haul.

Cheers!
Josh

If someone volunteers to be my sender, I will participate. PM Josh if you're up to the task. (Please check my wants list to make sure.)

If so, I regret to announce that this will be my final time participating in this BIF, at least for a while. And having been in it for every round since the very beginning, I must say, it's been quite an adventure. *sniff* I'm getting all verklempt here. So ultimately, hopefully someone can send me off #properly with a bang, and hopefully I can do the same.

If someone volunteers to be my sender, I will participate. PM Josh if you're up to the task. (Please check my wants list to make sure.)

If so, I regret to announce that this will be my final time participating in this BIF, at least for a while. And having been in it for every round since the very beginning, I must say, it's been quite an adventure. *sniff* I'm getting all verklempt here. So ultimately, hopefully someone can send me off #properly with a bang, and hopefully I can do the same.

Your wants really aren't THAT tough, you have a lot of them and quite a few are available online. I feel confident someone will be up to the task.

I see that a number of people haven't responded yet or are on the fence. I'm open to suggestions if there is something I can change that would increase participation...

I see that a number of people haven't responded yet or are on the fence. I'm open to suggestions if there is something I can change that would increase participation...

I'm a newbie, but it seems like at this point the main participants on this BIF might have such specific/rare glasswants that the chance of having those wants hit is so small that it makes participation not worth it, or they simply already have a metric **** ton of glasses and don't want anymore unless it's something they really want.

Personally, I'm shaking in my boots over here worrying that I'll get someone with really specific wants and a huge existing collection and it'll either be impossible or very painful to hit wants - but I'll certainly try my damnedest because I don't want to be a disappointment in my first BIF.

Just throwing out an idea that came to mind, but maybe targets could be assigned based on who could hit a big want from a smaller list in addition to the submitted Gots/Wants so that at least participants would know one big want is getting hit and thus increasing the incentive for participating. The logistics are probably a pain in the ass and the feasibility is shaky, but it's an idea.

My biggest issue is I have a shitton of glassware and nowhere else to put more. Since I've been in the last 4-5 rounds I think it is time to sit out.

I will be very strategic with who gets targets with tougher wants. My goal is to make everyone as happy as possible. That's also why I've encouraged people to include as many wants as possible in their list. It will certainly help their senders assemble a box they will enjoy.

There are also lots of vets out there that aren't participating but will likely be willing to help with trades to make sure people can send bigger wants to their targets, such as hannydawg.

I will also do my best to help with trades. I've got about 60-80 glasses that need a new home.

This is my fourth round, and each round the guy running it has done a phenomenal job of matching targets. It takes a lot of work, so these guys really deserve a big "Thank You" for what they do.

I, too would be willing to help with some wants, if someone needs something specific. I have to start thinning the herd to make room for more!

**** it, I'm back in. I have way too much glass, but I like satisfying some wants and some recent glassware acquisitions will make my future target very happy.

EDIT: I will say this - due to my ever increasing number of glassware, I would actually prefer if somebody sent me the MINIMUM number of glasses and max out with some proper bottles for proper glassware.

I unfortunately and regrettably have to sit this one out. As always money is very limited and Bourbon County season is quickly approaching.

Most of the people who have signed up, still need to message me their contact info.

I will be very strategic with who gets targets with tougher wants. My goal is to make everyone as happy as possible. That's also why I've encouraged people to include as many wants as possible in their list. It will certainly help their senders assemble a box they will enjoy.

There are also lots of vets out there that aren't participating but will likely be willing to help with trades to make sure people can send bigger wants to their targets, such as hannydawg.
I am/was a little worried as well.

I need to update my wants and gots. Just put most of my glasses into a case in the basement so I can easily see what I have now.

Back