Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexlerLepp

Reaction score
I bought my kettle for brewing at Good Will (trying to save a buck or two) and after brewing two batches have noticed the same odd flavor (astringent/sharp) in the aftertaste of both beers. After a much more careful examination of the pot I have noticed some minor scratches on the bottom, could they contribute to the flavor? Or could it be something else? What do you guys think? Thanks.

Its not likely that the brew pot would cause astringency, this problem is commonly caused by using to hot of water in strike or sparge or steeping the grains too long. The sour taste could be a simply as not letting it age enough.

If it's a SS or aluminum pot a highly doubt it's the pot. You could always boil some water, cool and taste for peace of mind. You might check your water as well with a controlled boil using bottled water.

If it's a SS or aluminum pot a highly doubt it's the pot. You could always boil some water, cool and taste for peace of mind. You might check your water as well with a controlled boil using bottled water.

great comment sick. Process of elimination is easiest to start with the easiest to replace. Boil the water you used in pot; taste. Boil in something else; taste. Boil a bottled water in pot; see if different from first two. You have covered both your water source and the pot.

Great idea, I will try a controlled boil test tomorrow and see if that is it.

In both cases, the beers where great with the exception of this odd flavor and I would really like to figure it out before I keep making more beers.

Is there a good place to look up what types of flavors are made by what type of problems?

I would like to add that they were both made with extract, the first was dry hopped and for the second I steeped some grains. The first was a pale ale and the second a roasted brown ale, so they were made using somewhat different methods. If that helps. Thanks.

So I did the test and it is clearly not the pot, so now I am starting to wonder what it could be. I was looking at my notes again and the flavor could also be described as somewhat earthy and astringent at the same time (if that is possible). Any thoughts? Thanks.

If you steeped the grains at a high temperature you will extract tannins from them which are astringent. Carefully monitor temperature when the grains are taking a bath. You should also check your thermometer to make sure it is reasonably accurate. This however is not so easy.

Latest posts

Back