Brew Pal software in the iTunes App Store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this most recent update automatically notify us? I've had Brewpal for a few months now but didn't get a notice for this most recent update. How can I get the update "manually"?

Re: Android... sadly, no, there are no plans for me to develop outside of the Apple + iTunes ecosystem. I work on Brew Pal in my free time and just don't have enough to give to learning/working in another development environment, sorry :(

Sad to hear, my droid is on its way to my house right now and was hoping to install this program.

Does this most recent update automatically notify us? I've had Brewpal for a few months now but didn't get a notice for this most recent update. How can I get the update "manually"?

Mine showed up in the app store as an update. Butbyou can just search for it and replace it.

Yes, just click the buy button, it will know that you have it and tell you it is a free upgrade. Unfortunately for me, I have not upgraded to my iphone 3.1.2 , so it won't let me. Still waiting to see what the developer says. I hate having to upgrade my iphone firmware when all is working well.

Thanks! Yeah, I got the notice that I need to update my iPhone firmare too. That's news to me. I guess I need to sync my iPhone more often :). Anyway, thanks for the pointer.

Update notifications are handled completely by the app store, and are out of the control of the developer... in iTunes (on OS X), clicking on the "Applications" section in the left navigation bar will list all of your apps, then in the lower right there is a "Check for Updates" button. I think the method mentioned earlier of searching for "Brew Pal" in the app store and clicking the buy button will also work, but I have never needed to do this.

For those of you that have not updated from iPhone OS 3.0: I build with a target OS of 3.1.2 (or whatever is current) in the SDK, although I did not know that this limited the ability to install on 3.0! There are other controls in the app store for setting the minimum OS level, and I have these set to 3.0. I apologize for this, and the next update will be built for 3.0.

Re: Timers

Unfortunately there is no way to interface with the Calendar application. If/when Apple allows this you can bet there will be a Brew Pal update to create a Fermentation calendar! In 1.6.9 the timers will continue to run when the app is closed (ie. start the boil timer, close the app, start it in 5 minutes and your timer will have elapsed 5 minutes), but you can only receive alerts and ringer sounds if the app is active. Fortunately you can hit the "sleep" hardware button while Brew Pal is running, and you will still receive notifications even though the screen is off.

Re: Yeast

There appears to be a bug with the "lager" switch. I'll fix that ASAP! When you are in the Yeast tab the lager switch will change your pitching rate. Other than that it doesn't really affect your recipe at all.

Dave

Is there a way we can change the actual pitching rate on our recipes, as opposed to the recommended pitching rate? BTW this app is Fanfreakintastic especially for 0.99

ruffdeezy, can you contact me at [email protected] and explain what you are doing when it crashes? Does it always happen at the same point?

I definitely want to track down any bugs and make it work well for everyone!

Dave

For those of you that have not updated from iPhone OS 3.0: I build with a target OS of 3.1.2 (or whatever is current) in the SDK, although I did not know that this limited the ability to install on 3.0! There are other controls in the app store for setting the minimum OS level, and I have these set to 3.0. I apologize for this, and the next update will be built for 3.0.

Dave

So for those of us on 3.0, do I need to wait for the next release that will work on 3.0 and if so , when is the next release targeted for.

If you have just installed the app, and are having crashes, you should try restarting the phone. Many apps have crashed when first installed. I dunno why, seems like a fairly common iphone problem, at least in the earlier days of apps.

I just downloaded this and it's fantastic! Thanks! I'm new to brewing and was disappointed to see that BeerSmith doesn't have a Mac version yet, but this should do me pretty well.

I'm planning to make 2 batches this weekend so I'll be able to put it to use quickly. :)

Question: will the boil timer notify me at each hop addition time?

I believe he just answered that question a few post back. Basically yes as long as you dont leave the app, if the screen goes to sleep, it should still work.

A suggestion - right now you show both pre-boil and post-boil gravities, but I can only input the post-boil OG. Can I have an option to input the actual obtained pre-boil volume and gravity, and from that it'll calculate the post boil gravity and efficiency? (and also update the bitterness balance calculation in the hops tab)

Explanation: I'm just starting with all grain, and my mashing efficiency and even volume are still hit and miss. I'll get anywhere between 50 and 70% efficiency, and sometimes get up to half gallon over the predicted pre-boil volume (sparging a bit more to try to get more extract). I can always adjust my burner to boil-off the excess liquid, so my post-boil will always be close to my batch size (3 gal + .25 trub). But I'd like to be able to easily predict my post-boil OG so I can adjust my hop additions for balance before starting the boil

This would be the workflow:
Mash/Sparge
Measure pre-boil volume and gravity, input into BrewPal.
Get my actuall efficiency, and what will be my post-boil gravity at 3gal volume.
Go into the hops tab, adjust quantities/boil time to keep the balance
Start boil

A second suggestion would be to adjust the attenuation by mash temperature (dryer at 148, fuller-bodied at 154), but I have no idea if there's an accurate formula for that

I love this app. I bought it a few weeks ago and fell in love instantly. Used it on Sunday for brewing my NBA and it came in so handy. I emailed Dave to thank him for the awesome app and he was extremely nice to reply back. I look forward to his revisions in 1.7.

-J

I wouldn't say it's completely replaced BeerSmith for me but I will say that it's as essential as the brewpot on brew day. Just wish you could import recipes instead of having to retype everything into my iPhone. Nonetheless, I love this app and will always use it.

This has been an incredible piece of software! Probably the best software purchase I've made from the App Store. I may have found a bug though. (Forgive me if this has been mentioned already) Sometimes when scaling recipes (seems to happen more when scaling down) the app will crash. Sometimes you can jump back in and retry the scaling and it will work, sometimes it won't. I know bugs that can't be reliably duplicated are the hardest to track down but I wanted to make you aware. Thanks again for the great software!

the scaling issue has been mentioned before, however it was supposed to have been fixed a few releases back. You might want to report it and double check the gravities and grain amounts to make sure that when it does allow you to scale, that the quantities have been adjusted.

I just downloaded mine as well. Great app you have here! Emailed re: the 'lager' bug but you've addressed it here, why didn't I think to check HBT?!?!

Anyway, love the app---very well done. Especially the Refractometer calc. That is a very nice addition.

Overall, very pleased with it...I used it to guide me through brew day yesterday and it worked like a dream!

It is a great app but it does crash a lot. It seems to crash if I am entering a recipe and then decide to up it from 5 gallon to 10 without saving the original 5 gallon recipe it usually crashes. I also have had issues with saving recipes. Sometimes when I go into the load save screen my other recipes show up but no green circle with "Save Current Recipe" option so I have to close out and reopen the app to get the save option. But besides that the app is great and one of the most used on my phone. I will try to make note on my next brew day exactly when and what I am doing when the app crashes and will pass it on. :mug:

I have been using this program for a while now and LOVE IT.

I do have one question.When I am exporting through email. the default email has one letter off of my email. How do I change the auto entered email for exports.

another cool feature would be to email some sort of calendar update for when you should rack or bottle/keg.

It is a great app but it does crash a lot. It seems to crash if I am entering a recipe and then decide to up it from 5 gallon to 10 without saving the original 5 gallon recipe it usually crashes. I also have had issues with saving recipes. Sometimes when I go into the load save screen my other recipes show up but no green circle with "Save Current Recipe" option so I have to close out and reopen the app to get the save option. But besides that the app is great and one of the most used on my phone. I will try to make note on my next brew day exactly when and what I am doing when the app crashes and will pass it on. :mug:
you only get the save option on a new recipe, all the other times you need to do live editing. Or atleast that's been my experience.

Have you been using the newest version of the app lately, that bug seems to be fixed.

Also I can convert from us -> metric and back with no crashes now.

Nurlabys, I'm a total Brewpal devotee. I show it off at the lhbs all the time and I'll be sure to bring it to the brewclub this upcoming meeting!

I downloaded it yesterday and started double checking some of my recipe calcs. Specifically I liked the refractometer calculations. My barelywine wasn't as under attenuated as I thought.

Cool app.

You know what I like about this app. If you compare the time it takes to make a recipe in BTP or BS, this takes about 1/4 of the time. Still lovin it!

So far there are only two things I don't like. First, the notes page doesn't scroll.

Second, I can't program in things like: brew date, rack date, bottle date, fermentation temp, lager temp/time.

But the calcs and stuff though, still very cool. And the smell/flavor wheel is one of the coolest things i've ever seen on an iPhone app.

I bought this quite awhile ago and love everything about it. Nice job and keep up the good work!

I've been using Brewpal for a while and love it. I haven't done the recent update because I'm still on iphone 3.0.

Are there plans to implement an inventory system in upcoming versions? I'm looking at getting beertools, but I use brewpal every time I brew. I'd rather just use one program.

Also, is there anyway to have Brewpal on my phone interface with Brewpal on my mac? I'd really love to be able to enter my complete inventory with a real keyboard. Entering 25 grains and 20 hops by scroll wheel will drive me crazy.

Keep up the great work. If every update was $.99 I'd gladly pay it. This software is worth much more than the $1 I paid.

Cheers,
B

Anyone notice a problem with First Wort Hops additions? I have Orfy's HobGolbin recipe as input and the First Wort Hops have a lower IBU contribution than those 30 minutes into the boil. Both are the same amount and Alpha.

Am I doing something wrong?

Yeah I had some weird calculations with the first wort hops addition on my double bastard last week. Threw off the IBU's completely.

Time to get the most recent update. That is, after my new iphone goes through restore. Isn't apple care wonderful?

I'll play around with the new version of BP and see how it does!

B

Back