Brewing App

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
Since I started brewing 5 years ago I've always used Brewer's Friend for recipe creations and for the brew timers. I also have the mobile version on my Iphone. I recently switched to an Android phone however BF doesn't make an android version.

Which app is everyone using, if any? I have Beersmith 3 on my desktop and considering purchasing the mobile version however just want to see what everyone else is using.

I use an app called Wort on my android device and beersmith on my computer if I need to. I usually just use Wort to calculate strike temp and mash volumes and keep a hard copy in a notebook. I use beersmith to scale recipes and if my equipment profile ever changes.

Since I started brewing 5 years ago I've always used Brewer's Friend for recipe creations and for the brew timers. I also have the mobile version on my Iphone. I recently switched to an Android phone however BF doesn't make an android version.

Which app is everyone using, if any? I have Beersmith 3 on my desktop and considering purchasing the mobile version however just want to see what everyone else is using.

I use Brewer's Friend on my android phone and ipad through the web browser. All the same features, just in slightly different views, which is expect with the change in screen size. Plus everything is in one place. At this point I won't look at a brewing app unless it's a mobile-ready site or a web app.

I'm not a huge fan of Beersmith and I really like BF especially for the brew timers. Looks like BS has that as well.
Maybe I'll just need to use my laptop.
Thanks for the replies.

I use BeerSmith to list ingredients, plan brew order, and bank recipes.

I use Bru’n Water and enter the results in BeerSmith for minerals.

I use my phone for the timer.

Volumes are pretty much the same beer to beer as most of my recipes have about the same weight grains. I rarely brew outside of a 5% ABV +/- range. So 5 gal strike, 3.5 gal sparge is routine.

I'm not a huge fan of Beersmith and I really like BF especially for the brew timers. Looks like BS has that as well.
Maybe I'll just need to use my laptop.
Thanks for the replies.
I've heard a bunch of buzz about BrewFather web app. It didn't work for my flow, but it should work on pc and mobiles as well.

@brew703, this thread may be helpful...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/brewing-software-suggestions.671324/#post-8723452

FWIW, as stated in the thread, I did not renew my subscription to Brewer's Friend. I am now using BrewFather exclusively and really, really like it. I am still subscribing to BS3 and will do so for another year to give me time to transfer and export my recipes to BrewFather.

Before you make any decision, why don't you download BrewFather and use the full version for FREE for 30 days and then make a better informed decision. Search YouTube for reviews as well...

@brew703, this thread may be helpful...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/brewing-software-suggestions.671324/#post-8723452

FWIW, as stated in the thread, I did not renew my subscription to Brewer's Friend. I am now using BrewFather exclusively and really, really like it. I am still subscribing to BS3 and will do so for another year to give me time to transfer and export my recipes to BrewFather.

Before you make any decision, why don't you download BrewFather and use the full version for FREE for 30 days and then make a better informed decision. Search YouTube for reviews as well...
There's nothing to download for Brewfather on an android. They only created an ios app because safari wasn't playing nice. It's a web app on PCs and android devices that you can access through any browser.

I use to use beersmith 2 and the mobile app for beersmith 2. The problem I had was that you could only sync your cloud recipes, there is no sync for inventory. I also used bru'n water for my water calculations. I switched to brewfather about a year ago and like it. I like the interface much more then beersmith. The ability to view my recipes and inventory from different locations is very useful to me. The built-in water adjustments in brewfather are very convenient to use, however they seem to differ a bit from bru'n water, which seemed more accurate. I've leaned how the water calculations relate to my system and the brewfather water adjustments get me close enough. The brewfather timers also work well. I never liked subscription software, but brewfather is worth it to me.

I use to use beersmith 2 and the mobile app for beersmith 2. The problem I had was that you could only sync your cloud recipes, there is no sync for inventory. I also used bru'n water for my water calculations. I switched to brewfather about a year ago and like it. I like the interface much more then beersmith. The ability to view my recipes and inventory from different locations is very useful to me. The built-in water adjustments in brewfather are very convenient to use, however they seem to differ a bit from bru'n water, which seemed more accurate. I've leaned how the water calculations relate to my system and the brewfather water adjustments get me close enough. The brewfather timers also work well. I never liked subscription software, but brewfather is worth it to me.

I agree with you on most of the points, if not all. The water calculator in Brewfather is much more accurate than on BS2 or BS3 when it comes to pH and suggested acid additions. With that said, I have been using Mash Made Easy for my goto water adjustments.

Latest posts

Back